Boeger Bros

Photo by Jenny Braverman

Photo by Jenny Braverman

Tara Williams and Lucy Cohen

When a Boeger brother steps on the soccer field, he knows that his two other brothers are standing behind him – literally.
Senior Andrew Boeger has been on the boys varsity soccer team for his high school career, and within the past two years, his brothers, Max – a sophomore, and Clark – a freshman, have joined him.
All three brothers started playing soccer as early as four-years-old.
When asked why he joined the soccer team, Clark said, “Being so young, I never knew exactly why – but I don’t regret it. Being part of a team, any sport, is life changing. Also, all of my siblings have played soccer before me, so it was my duty to fulfill the family code.”
The “family code” of playing soccer is a longstanding tradition in the Boeger family.
According to Andrew, “Both of [our] parents played through high school. [Our] dad played at Westminster College in Fulton, MO.”
In addition, sisters Bridget and Gabby played soccer throughout their years at CHS.
This season is different, however: the brothers will be playing on the same team.
Although Clark plays for the JV team, it is likely that he will play for varsity later in the season – meaning that all three brothers will be playing on the same field.
“Since [Max] is my brother, he won’t sugar coat anything (not that he does anyway). On and off the field, he makes sure that you don’t get away with your mistakes. I guess it will be fun to find his weaknesses and tease him gently.”
On playing with Max, Andrew said, “It’s not any better or worse, but it is certainly different. Sometimes I have to act differently; sometimes there are arguments, and when [Max] gets frustrated, I have to let him know to calm down.”
The dynamic between the brothers, according to head coach Tom Redmond, ultimately gives them an edge.
“They are extremely competitive during training and games and both are excellent soccer players. During training, Andrew and Max really get after one another; they often play their hardest when they go against each other.” Redmond said. “Although they are both very independent, they look out for each other and obviously have a great sibling bond! I really enjoy coaching them as brothers and enjoy both their differences and their similarities.”