Lion: A Long Way Home

Lion official movie poster

Lion official movie poster

Sarah Baker, Reporter

Five year old Saroo longs to help out his impoverished family and way he can and make his mom and brother proud. He and his family live in India. He helps his brother steal coal from a train and trade it for milk, and he insists on assisting his brother with work on the night shift at the railroad station. When little Saroo wakes up alone on an empty train that was heading farther and farther from his home, he ends up lost in a town far from his. No one helps the frightened boy, and Saroo is alone.

The movie Lion was released in select theaters on November 25, 2016 and was produced by Iain Canning, Emile Sherman, and Angie Fielder. Starring Dev Patel, the movie is an adaptation of the memoir A Long Way Home by Saroo Brierley. The journey that Saroo takes to find his home makes footprints on your heart and will leave your cheeks streaked with tears. Both heartwarming and memorable, Saroo inspires many with his story.

After being adopted by a couple in Australia, Saroo grows up to love and care for his new family. However, he struggles with the memories of his home in India and the family he left behind. He begins a search for his birth home more than 20 years after getting lost.

Saroo Brierley had everything in his home in Australia. He had money and resources, a kind and loving family, but he did not feel whole. This movie reminds you that money can get you far, but it will not always make you feel happy. The pull to search for his birth family was too strong and he couldn’t ignore it.

The movie also informs many of the issue of lost kids in India. Saroo’s story was not an isolated one. The movie has partnered with organizations to help street children in India and around the world. Over 80,000 kids go missing in India each year, and Lion raises awareness about the hardships of the children.

Lion was touching and definitely a must-see. Saroo’s tale of bravery and longing for home will impact anyone who experiences it.