Talented Trystan

Michael Bernard

More stories from Michael Bernard

From the Editors
May 21, 2019
Todd Rubin, ’99
March 12, 2019
Jason Lawshee, ’16
March 12, 2019

Sophomore Trystan Goette carries the ball toward goal

“The first time I ever picked up a stick was when I was at Gay Field playing soccer and there were a few guys playing lacrosse. I asked them what it was and they let me join them,” CHS sophomore and varsity lacrosse starter Trystan Goette said. “They taught me the basics of passing and catching. I went right home and told my mom that I wanted to play lacrosse.”

Goette starting playing the sport in fifth grade with the Junior Hounds and has grown immensely since then.
Since the first day he started playing the foreign game, he has remained dedicated to improving his ability.

“I practice every day in my backyard,” Goette said. “I pass off of my garage wall and shoot on the goal I have set up in my driveway.”

Goette additionally practices with the team at Brittany Woods Middle School during the spring season. Even though he is an underclassman, Goette acts as one of the go-to leaders on the team.

Even though he is an underclassman, Goette acts as one of the go-to leaders on the team.

“I try to motivate and help others,” Goette said.

When I see someone drop a pass, I help them or tell them that they’ll get it next time. If they miss a shot, I’ll help them with what they did wrong and teach them how to do it better next time.

— Trystan Goette

Dylan Snodgrass is a freshman and is playing his first year of lacrosse.

Goette (right) celebrates with a teammate. Photo by Katherine Sleckman.

“[Trystan] is one of the most skilled players on the team,” Snodgrass said. “He helps the newer players when they are struggling and he [congratulates] them when they succeed.”

During the beginning of the season, Snodgrass consistently struggled with perfecting the bounce shot. Goette took Snodgrass under his wing and worked independently with the rookie in order to improve his technique.“He has a good attitude towards the coaches and gives all his effort when playing,” Snodgrass said.

“He has a good attitude towards the coaches and gives all his effort when playing,” Snodgrass said.

Along with helping out the newcomers on the team, Goette loves the aspect of scoring and leading his team to wins.

Last year during the 2016 season, Goette recorded 27 goals and 13 assists. During his first game with the Greyhounds last year, Goette assisted the game-winning goal with only 30 seconds left to play.

During his first year with the Greyhound’s, Goette never missed a game for an injury: an uncommon occurrence in the sport.

“Last year I got named All-Conference. I just tried out for and made MO22 which is an elite summer club team with some of the best in Missouri,” Goette said. “About 150 kids tried out and I was one of 22 to make the team.” Being only a sophomore, Goette is in the minority as the team primarily consists of juniors or seniors. Goette was selected as an attacker and is the only CHS student to make the team in the last few years.

MO22, which is additionally a non-profit organization, competes in multiple tournaments throughout the summer. Goette must participate in rigorous training sessions throughout the summer weeks.

One of MO22’s goals is to attempt to get the young lacrosse players recruited to the collegiate level: a long term goal for Goette as well.

Goette is already talking to Division-III coaches, but he plans on playing at the Division-I level after high school. Goette’s goal for the 2017 season is to be named to the All-State team, as well as to record more goals and assists.

According to Goette, he believes the Clayton lacrosse program has grown a lot over the last few years. However, he believes that adolescents interested in the sport should begin playing much earlier in their youth, similar to Goette.

Although Goette dedicates much of his free time to the sport, his commitment to lacrosse does not interfere with his commitment to school.“[Lacrosse] motivates me to work harder in the classroom knowing it could help get me to college,” Goette said.

“[Lacrosse] motivates me to work harder in the classroom knowing it could help get me to college,” Goette said.