Photo by Michael Melinger.
Photo by Michael Melinger.

A Season to Remember

CHS Varsity baseball team ends long season with a 1-7 loss against Westminster.

May 24, 2017

“Winning the district championship, our record would have said that that wasn’t even a possibility,” CHS head baseball coach Craig Sucher said. “But we knew ourselves and we didn’t let our record define us, despite the fact that we could have.”

On Tuesday, May 23, the CHS Varsity Baseball team ended its season with a 1-7 loss against Westminster High School.

“I think we all wanted to get past this game, go as far as we could go. We wanted to keep showing up to this field and keep playing with each other. But, I think overall the season was a huge success,” Senior captain Max Hunter said.

“We were a lot closer than the score showed,” Sucher said. “But in any game, especially against a team like this, and only half of what happens is due to what you do, you just tip your cap to [Westminster] because they did a great job today.”

Hunter pitched six of the seven innings and ended the night with countless strikeouts to his name. Though this was his last season with CHS, Hunter signed with Dartmouth college to continue his baseball career.

Max Hunter after the Greyhounds defeat. Photos by Michael Melinger.

“As a whole, I think the season went just how we expected, the regular season was rough, but we got better throughout the season and we played our best baseball during the playoffs. You know, we won our district and people didn’t think we were going to do that and we gave it our all but just came up a little short,” Hunter said.

According to Sucher, even though the Greyhounds lost the game, it was a fitting culmination to a long season.

“We’ve shown unbelievable growth, the way we’ve made mistakes and not let them snowball, the way we’ve been able to take better at-bats against a pitcher like this. He would have dominated us in the beginning of the season, midway through the season. But today up and down the order we were getting guys on base and taking good at-bats,” Sucher said.

To this, Hunter agrees.

“We gave it our all on the field, and I think that’s all you can do.”

$150
$2000

Photo of Jacob LaGesse
Jacob LaGesse, Editor-in-Chief

Jacob is a senior at CHS and this is his fourth year on the Globe. He is currently serving as the Editor-in-Chief, and in the past has served as Senior Managing Editor and News...

$150
$2000