Iran flexes military muscles with recent missile test, economic sanctions ensue

The Obama administration has pressed more economic sanctions on Iran after a newly disclosed nuclear site and short range missile testing. Cutoffs to oil and gas industries and Iranian banks already exist, but a movement for a more extensive bank blacklist and sanctions on energy sectors are in the works.

Iran test-fired three short range missiles on Sunday, despite existing sanctions on Iranian economic factors and worldwide criticism raining down on Tehran for military defiance. A recently revealed nuclear site has added to the existing tactics being pressed by the Obama administration.

Any sanctions put into effect have two clashing goals: forcing Iran back into negotiations regarding their nuclear program, and receiving support from Russia and China, who have strong economic ties to Iran.

President Dmitri A. Medvedev of Russia met with President Obama last week, and no agreements were made on sanctions against Iran. China is reported to be even more unmoving given its oil ties with Iran according to senior Obama administrators.

Other countries are getting in on the mix. Israel’s prime minister, Benjamin Netanyahu, has urged prominent U.S. lawmakers into pursuing, “crippling sanctions” according to Israeli officials.

Sunday’s missile test was one of Iran’s first international showings since a shady re-election of President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad on June 12.

With a stalemate on plans for negotiations with Russia and China, the Obama administration will be looking for cooperation from Britain, France and other cooperating nations.