WATCH: Elementary School Night brings school community together

Despite the cool, rainy weather, the stands at Gay Field were filled with elementary school students on Friday. The children were cheering on the Hounds as part of Elementary School Night at the football game. The event, the first of its kind, was organized by a newly founded group called the Greyhound Pride Parent Organization.

“The weather was not our friend tonight,” said Paul Lewis, the group’s leader. Still, he estimated between 60 and 70 kids and parents attended the event, which included a tailgate before the game.

Lewis said the organization was created to generate a greater sense of community between the district’s schools.

“The whole purpose of the organization is really to unite the schools by attending events like this that bring the community together for something really positive,” Lewis said.

Even though conditions on Friday were not ideal, the kids and parents who came for the game seemed to be having a good time.

“I think it’s a great idea to bring all the schools together for Clayton pride,” said one elementary school parent.

Lewis also said that the Greyhound Pride Organization hopes to generate what he called “aspirational awareness” so that grade school kids can see what high school students are doing and become more enthusiastic about high school activities.

Upcoming Greyhound Pride events include playing a role in the homecoming parade and inviting elementary school kids to a soccer game sometime in October. The group will continue similar programs throughout the sports seasons, including basketball, girls’ soccer and baseball.

See video for highlights of the football game: