Soccer starts 16-2-2, looks to playoff run

The varsity soccer team has started the 2009 season with one of the best records of the past few years. A 16-2-2 record has placed the Hounds atop the Suburban East Conference, and awarded them the number two ranking among the area’s small schools.

The Hounds huddle before the start of the second half of a game.  The team is off to a 16-2-2 record.
The Hounds huddle before the start of the second half of a game. The team is off to a 16-2-2 record.

With a large group of seniors and juniors, a scattering of sophomores, and one freshman, age diversity is present, but the success lies in the starting lineup’s talent and cooperation.

Success has been attained with a new defensive strategy, solid goaltending, and a superb ability to keep the goals against to a minimum with six 1-0 games, 14 shutouts, and an astounding goals against average of 0.33 per game. Senior goalie Jack Harned has provided goal keeping in almost every game of the season so far.

“We are playing great team defense,” head coach Matt Balossi said. “This season we switched from a man-to-man defense to a zone defense and it has made a huge difference for us.”

The new defense has proved effective with only six goals allowed all season. Three-year varsity starters Kevin Matheny and Josh Goldstein lead the defense.

“Our shutouts can’t just be credited to Jack and the defensive line,” Matheny said. “When the offense plays better, it is easier to play good defense.”

Defense is a vital aspect of the team’s success according to Balossi.

“We are not getting a ton of goal scoring, although we are maintaining possession of the ball and creating good opportunities,” Balossi said. “When you can shut teams down defensively you can be happy with a lot of 1-0 wins.”

As the wins continue to stream in, it has become clear that there is skill on the team. Talent is abundant on the starting lineup, with eight of the starting 11 playing some club soccer in their life.

“This year we have a lot of solid players,” junior center midfielder Beau Haydon said. “Not one position is there a weak spot.”

A solid line of defense, a 37-goal offense, and a two-way potent midfield provides a well-rounded team that shows cooperation as well as ability.

All teams suffer player-player conflicts, but the varsity team has kept distracting arguments to a minimum.

“We insist it upon each other that when it comes to game time, we put our differences aside and come together as a team, no matter what the circumstance,” junior forward Will Hayes said.

Hayes leads the team in goals with ten, followed by senior midfielder Evan Green with nine, and sophomore midfielder Charlie Harned and senior forward David Goss each with five .

“When we cooperate on the field, we talk well and play well,” Jack Harned said.

Where there is cooperation, there exists team pride and a common goal. All starting players put all they have into the game in whatever way they can contribute.

“Everyone on the team takes pride in their strong play, and we come out hard every day,” Matheny said.

With one of the best seasons in Clayton soccer’s recent history at stake, the Hounds are keeping the season’s successes in check. The team makes sure not to invest too much of the post-victory pride in each consequent match up. Cooperation is crucial to the team’s success, as well as keeping a level head and maintaining discipline.

“To keep up the great season, we can’t let the success get to our heads,” Jack Harned said. “We’ve got to keep playing every game with strength and togetherness.”

Along with maintaining discipline, the team keeps an emphasis on the impact of all players, whether they are a star forward or a out of spotlight defender.

“We have been playing together for a while, and although we are still learning we are beginning to find our teammates’ strengths and weaknesses,” Haydon said.

Cooperation and togetherness have paid off in an excellent record, but the season is not over. The Hounds are looking at district games against three top 10 small school powerhouses: Westminster, MICDS, and Priory.

“If we play well we can win districts, but we cannot afford any let downs or soft games against such tough competition,” Balossi said.

Mental determination and a good attitude are at the forefront of continuing success. Team drive will be tested in the coming weeks with tough games against Priory (Oct. 20), senior night against Whitfield (Oct. 26), and Hazelwood Central (Oct. 27).

“As soon as I set the varsity roster in August, I told the team that we should focus on winning Districts – that we had enough talent to make that our goal for the year,” Balossi said.

A steady team consensus exists in this season’s hopes to win districts.

“I like the drive of this team, we work hard and we are competitive,” Balossi said regarding the team’s strongest attributes. “At the same time we are having a lot of fun.”

Hard work is paying off in wins, and the players are enjoying it. However, the team has been identified as one of the most important teams to beat.

“Now that we are getting some recognition, teams are going to be even more eager to knock us down,” Balossi said. “We saw that against Lutheran North. They were very spirited and did everything they could to beat us.”

Clayton came away with a 1-0 overtime win.

Players have a productive and positive relationship with the coaching staff many have been playing under for three or more years now.

“Balossi is awesome. Period,” Haydon said with Matheny in agreement.

The districts tournament approaches with less than a month of season games left.

“We know we can win districts, it’s just a matter of how much each player is willing to put into the team,” Matheny said.

“Anything can happen, that’s the beauty of soccer,” Haydon continued.