A Homerun Hat Trick for El Hombre

Albert Pujols wields not only a mighty bat at the plate, but a mighty pen as well. On Saturday, October 22, 2011, Pujols made three marks in the books of baseball history that will forever last with the great names of antiquity.

It was the pivotal Game 3 of the 2011 MLB World Series against the Texas Rangers. The St. Louis Cardinals were traveling to Rangers Ballpark in Arlington, Texas with hopes of pulling ahead in what was then a 1-1, tied series. Cardinal nation received so much more than they had asked for.

Albert Pujols smashed his way into the annals of famed — nay, revered — World Series heroics. The numbers don’t lie.

After starting his night with a groundout to put him at 0 for 7 against the Rangers in the World Series, Pujols’ record-breaking night began. Three home runs and two singles — a whopping five hits — and six RBIs coupled with 14 total bases later, Pujols had himself quite an awe-evoking night.

To keep the numbers straight, here are the records set on this glorious night:

Albert Pujols becomes the third player to ever hit three home runs in a World Series game. Babe Ruth and Reggie Jackson, deservingly famed players, are the only two to have ever accomplished this feat prior to Pujols’ Game 3. Ruth did so in 1926 and 1928 while Jackson did in 1977.

Albert Pujols ties Mickey Mantle of the New York Yankees for fourth place in career postseason home runs with 18 blasts.

Albert Pujols ties Paul Molitor of Milwaukee for the most hits in a World Series game, with five hits. Molitor also had a five-hit game in 1982.

Albert Pujols becomes the third player to ever drive in six runners in a World Series game with his six RBI night, tying Yankees’ Bobby Richardson (1960) and Hideki Matsui. Seven has never been accomplished in a World Series game.

Finally, for the personal records, Pujols became the first player to ever reach 14 total bases in a MLB World Series game.

Even with years of baseball ahead, Albert Pujols is securing his place in the list of all-time greats.

It would be a shame to not add to the already-ridiculously long list of records, so here’s a few more from the night:

The Cardinals set a new franchise record by scoring 16 runs in a postseason game.

And lastly, the Cardinals tied for second most runs scored by a single team in a World Series game with 16 runs, behind only the New York Yankees of 1936 who knocked in 18.

For the Cardinals, the trick now is to keep Albert’s bat healthy and to keep it alive. Millions of fans who pledge allegiance to the Cardinal nation will be looking for the Cards to ride out a victorious World Series on the hot bat of their franchise player, Albert Pujols.

After such an inspiring night, one can only gawk at the power and professionalism Pujols exudes.

When asked about the night, Pujols told the media, “Just pretty special.”

Spoken like a true champion.

(Photo: Rodger Mallison/Fort Worth Star-Telegram/MCT)

View Comments (1)
$150
$2000