Physics Club Doing Work

After it’s inception two years ago, the Physics Club is now in full swing for the 2011-2012 school year. They’re gaining momentum. And really accelerating in a positive direction. Yes, the cheesy science jokes are reaching maximum velocity.

This year, however, will be slightly different from the past two years. No, Physics Club devotees, don’t fret yet. The doughnuts are still here. But the biggest change this year for the club is that it is splitting into two parts: a sophomore and junior group that’s 20 strong, and a senior group of about ten.

The main reason for the split? Differing interests in different physics students.

While incoming freshman traditionally take Freshman Physics or the Honors Freshman Physics course, the hiatus between introductory physics and AP Physics is generally two years and the AP level is traditionally filled with seniors. This is a substantial amount of time between the two courses; thus, sophomores and juniors in Physics Club are looking to keep their physics skills sharp and expand their knowledge during the two years in between. Seniors, on the contrary, are mostly taking AP Physics and therefore wish to put their expanded knowledge of physics to use through a senior applied physics and engineering project.

Dylan Schultz, co-creator and leader of Physics Club explains the differences between the sophomore and junior part versus senior part of the club in greater depth.

“The sophomores will primarily focus on their physics skills in preparation for AP Physics,” Schultz said. “They’ll be doing practicums to enhance these skills and broaden their knowledge of momentum and other topics not covered in the freshman course.”

The current plan for the seniors is to build a Rube Goldberg machine, an overly complicated invention that coordinates a series of events to happen in a harmonious, machine-like fashion to ultimately perform a simple task. While the seniors were originally going to enter in a contest, they have opted for the more low-key, potentially outrageous and fun option of creating while avoiding what Schultz described as “hoops to jump through.”

Despite the differences within the club, no matter what part of Physics Club a student joins, the basic premise and mission is the same: to provide students with a chance to explore physics outside of the prescribed coursework, and to expand the knowledge and wonder of the science of physics.

For the time being, Physics Club is meeting every other week, with every other meeting on Wednesday and Thusday.

Confused?

“Well, it’s kind of complicated,” Schultz said.

Schultz and Noah Eby, the other co-leader of the club, will keep students posted.

Schultz urges students to come see what the club is about if they’re interested.

“I would say that if you’re going to take AP Physics, you should definitely do it,” Schultz said. “If you’re not [going to take AP] but you’re interested in going beyond the curriculum and learning more than what’s available, come join the Physics Club. Ultimately it’s just about showing a love and appreciation for the science.”