Being a Mormon in 2013 America

I was thirteen years old. I was en route by plane to Denver and next to me sat a theological scholar. Noticing that I had both the Book of Mormon and the Bible, he surmised that I was Mormon. For the next 30 minutes, he defended the Bible as the only holy scripture given to humankind. I then shared some stories in the Book of Mormon with him that had had an impact on me in my still young life.

Being a Mormon is an interesting situation. Some people love me because of my well defined standards and beliefs while others just want to debate whether I am Christian or not. Others expect me to act in certain way simply because I am Mormon.

Although my faith has received much attention in recent years, distrust and suspicion continues.

In an October SLATE poll, “Six percent said they wouldn’t vote for a woman, 7 percent said they wouldn’t vote for a Catholic, 9 percent said they wouldn’t vote for a Jew, and 10 percent said they wouldn’t vote for a Hispanic. But 22 percent said they wouldn’t vote for a Mormon.”

What does this say of our supposed progressive and tolerant culture?

Criticism of my faith comes from different directions–even condemning people of my faith as “too perfect.”

I can promise you that like everyone else, I have my own set of problems. I am not perfect, but neither is anyone else. Nevertheless, we can strive to be better as an active choice each day.

I think part of the issue that society has with Mormons is that they see our culture constantly engrossed in religion, but we are involved in many activities ranging from astrophysicists, to surfing, and even motorcycling. Just watch one “I am a Mormon” ad and you realize that Mormons in many respects are really not much different; we are, however, very interested in our religious life as well.

I admit I do spend much of my time in church. I attend religious meetings five mornings a week, starting at 6:15am. I spend 30 minutes on personal and family scripture study each day. I participate in youth activities every Wednesday night. I then spend three to four hours each week at my church on Sunday.

Why do I do this?

I like the emphasis my faith gives to confronting moral issues, but also the spiritual path in which to overcome challenges and develop inner strength. I also feel that my participation in religion puts life into perspective. Important pursuits in life are weighed and chosen more carefully because of the understanding of who I am.

Some disparage that religion is a source of manipulation and forced ideology. I have never been forced to go to church and other religious meetings. It is my choice.

In this age of information, it is sometimes overwhelming to sift through fact and falsehood. I would suggest that if people truly desire to understand what my church stands for, they should research and read the primary sources. I also think that attending one church service would help people realize we are not so strange after all.

Perhaps one of the most difficult beliefs of Mormonism for people to grasp is The Book of Mormon. This is a second source of scripture with the Bible for Mormons. Instead of readily condemning The Book of Mormon, studying this book would allow one to determine if it contains evil or valuable insights. I have read the entire Torah, most of the Qur’an and the Bible, as well as other religious texts. I don’t understand why The Book of Mormon offends others. I take no offense at their scripture, realizing all scriptural writing has been produced in incomprehensible and miraculous ways.

I would politely suggest that in 2012 that our society would be more harmonious and peaceful if we as a society adhered more closely to any of the these religious texts.

My decision to seek God is my own. I feel that many Jews, Catholics, Baptists, Muslims, Hindus, or Methodists have sought similar paths to spiritual truth. I would suggest, however, what we get out of religion is directly proportional to the effort we engage in this pursuit.

I am grateful for the positive example of my non-Mormon friends. I also feel amply rewarded in the peace and direction that my religion has given me.

Yes, I am a Mormon.