Pottermore Sorting

There comes a time in our lives where a decision must be made. Sometimes, the decision is up to us. Sometimes it’s not. For the millions of students swarming the Great Hall, this decision lies with the Sorting Hat. Since its opening to the general public on April 14 of this year, Pottermore has welcomed over two million new students. Many of these witches and wizards wanted to know one thing: what house they would be sorted into.

Like modern society, the houses discriminate against each other. Each house has a different quality, and, unfortunately, these qualities are sometimes looked down upon. Gryffindor is generally considered the “best” house, as it is the home of Harry Potter. Gryffindors are known for their bravery and chivalry, as well as their stubbornness and their habit of constantly being in danger. Then there is Ravenclaw, home of the intelligent and witty. Ravenclaws are constantly yearning to learn something new, a distinct difference between them and the Hufflepuffs. While Hufflepuffs are hardworking, they honor loyalty and patience above everything else. They are often considered the weakest of the four houses, due to their complete lack of any recklessness. Finally, there are the Slytherins, home of the ambitious, the cunning, and the self preserving. Often considered the “evil” house, Slytherins simply look out for themselves, and are frequently considered selfish. Each house has its own flaws, but also its own strengths.

The Sorting Quiz on Pottermore changed many people’s opinions of themselves, as they were often sorted into a house different than the one they had originally thought they were in. “I was a bit surprised not to be sorted into Ravenclaw,” says Griffin Reed, a recently Sorted Gryffindor, “but I am not at all disappointed.” She is joined by many who hoped for one house, but were sorted into another. Some didn’t take it as well as Griffin did, though.

“I always believed that my pure heart and my courage to stand up for what was right marked me as a true Gryffindor,” says Carley Griffiths, a Hufflepuff with some hard feelings towards her house. This appears to be a common trend among Hufflepuffs who were not exactly satisfied about their Sorting results.

However, some people were ecstatic with the house they were sorted into. Take Rilke Griffin, a Slytherin, for example. Sorted into the “evil” house, Rilke welcomed the opportunity with a sense of pride.  “I was sorted into Slytherin, and I have pretty much always thought I was a Slytherin,” she says happily, “because I like to consider myself smart and willing to use my intelligence to get the things I want.” The classic trait of self preservation is seen in her, proving her to be a definite Slytherin.

Remember this common bit of advice when you receive your Sorting results: you were Sorted into that house for a reason. Yes, you may possess some traits belonging to another house, but who doesn’t? It’s impossible to not; some of the houses are so similar. And yes, you may not be happy with the house you were sorted into, but it is important to remember that the Sorting Hat thought that you possessed the charisma of the house. You wouldn’t have been Sorted there otherwise. But if you are really unhappy about the house you were sorted into, then feel free to make a new account and be Resorted. You may be sorted into the same house, but it was worth a shot. Remember to delete your old account first, though. Messing up the House Cup isn’t strongly advised, not even for the most mischievous person in the world.