CHS Senior Jake Lee, Junior Joey Dulle Win Tennis State Doubles Second Year Straight

For the second year in a row, CHS senior Jake Lee and junior Joey Dulle clinched the High School Class I Tennis Doubles Championship. On a hot and windy Saturday, May 26 afternoon, Lee and Dulle grinded out a three and a half hour finals match to beat John Burroughs doubles team senior Matthew Wong and freshman Michael Peters 7-5, 2-6, 6-4.

Coming off the court, Lee was elated.

“I’m still kind of on a high right now,” Lee said. “But I’m definitely relieved.”

Dulle noted the grueling match had physically taken its toll but he was proud to have won for the second year in a row.

“Coming off the court, I felt exhausted but the victory felt good and I felt accomplished as a doubles team,” Dulle said.

CHS tennis coach Susie Luten was ecstatic as well.

“I’m thrilled. It was a legitimate championship.”

Lee was proud of how he and Dulle worked together this year during the state tournament.

“It feels good because last year I felt like I was holding back the team and this year I felt I helped to hold the team together,” Lee said. “It’s a great way to end my senior year.”

Last year, Lee and Dulle clinched the Class I doubles championship for the first time. Returning this year to defend their title added an extra element to the state tournament.

“It wasn’t more about winning this year, it was more about defending our title,” Lee said. “Last year there wasn’t much pressure, but this year was much more stressful.”

However, Dulle felt the added pressure was a boon.

“It was a good match and a good tournament. We always play better when we’re in tense situations.”

Luten praised Lee and Dulle’s overall effort.

“I felt that they had the most difficult draw,” Luten said. “I felt that in order to play for a repeat championship they had to play the best people. They had to prove they were the best by beating the best.”

And that’s exactly what Lee and Dulle did, they beat the best to prove they deserved two doubles championships in two years.

Looking back on the season, Dulle felt accomplished but still hungry for a team win.

“I think we had a good year, I’m still very disappointed that we didn’t win [state] as a team because I wanted a team victory but it’s been good,” Dulle said.