Crushing the Competition

After just one trip, and a combination of the samurai salad and a chipotle BBQ chicken pizza, I am confident that Crushed Red is a winner.

The relatively new restaurant is located on 8007 Maryland Ave, close to many of the homes of Clayton students – an ideal location for spur-of-the-moment student diners.

The slogan is “Urban Bake and Chop Shop” but the menu includes delicious pizzas, hearty soups, and a signature salad bar that features all kinds of different salad items and combinations.

I had no idea what to expect walking into this Clayton restaurant, and was immediately thrown for a loop as I tried to decipher the ordering process.

The staff was quick to explain how easy ordering was, as I quickly chose a pizza – chipotle BBQ chicken – and slid down a few steps to the salad bar to order a samurai salad. The staff prepares the salads fresh in front of restaurant-goers, selecting ingredients unique to each salad in a flurry of hand gestures and dicing. Within minutes, diners have an artistically prepared salad in hand, and shuffle yet a few more feet to pay.

I devoured my samurai salad while waiting for the pizza to arrive at my small café table, finishing the salad perfectly on time to dig into the steaming chipotle BBQ chicken goodness. The ovular pizza was seasoned to perfection and the chicken was supple and had an appropriate amount of zest.

All the while, I could watch the Cardinals game at different points in the restaurant as I enjoyed the funky urban, elegant fusion ambiance.

The prices were not too bad, as my meal cost 15 dollars with a drink, and the quality of the food entirely justified the slightly pricey charge.

I left full, content, but ready to return another night. Crushed Red is a winner where I hope to try the rest of the menu on future visits.