Cardinals Injuries Update

The St. Louis Cardinals’ roster is in great need of a lift. Injuries have plagued the team since day one in 2012, with multiple players on and off disabled list stints. Now, deep into the season, what the Cardinals need most is for the starting pitching and bullpen work to improve, and for injured squad to start getting healthy.

Allen Craig, who has put up impressive numbers in his limited games of work, is on the DL with a hamstring injury. He started the year recovering from knee surgery, and if Craig is on the road to full recovery, he could add some serious firepower to the roster. Craig is expected to return to the roster on Friday, June 1.

David Freese is now day to day with a hand issue that has continued to plague him for some time now. Last year, Freese suffered a bone fracture in his right hand after being hit by a pitch, and he seems to have aggravated this after diving for groundballs in a game. He remains one of the league’s premium offensive third basemen, and if he can remain healthy, the Cardinals could add some clutch at bats to their lineup.

Jon Jay has been out for much of May with a shoulder sprain that he suffered in a game. He will be reevaluated in the coming week but there is no timetable for his return. Jay put up impressive offensive numbers to start the year, batting over .400 with an even higher on base percentage. His defense is no fluke either, and if he can remain healthy, the Cardinals will have some outfield depth with Skip Shumaker and Shane Robinson in the reserves.

Carlos Beltran has been putting together a year worthy of his 2004 NL reign. He has 15 homers and now 42 RBI, picking up where the dismissed Pujols left off. Beltran has a history of knee complications, and already had a scare earlier this year with some knee soreness, but hopefully he’ll stay healthy and productive.

Lance Berkman was the NL Comeback Player of the Year in 2011, putting together an impressive year of 31 HR and 94 RBI. He’ll need to stay healthy to come even close this year, since knee problems continue for the vet. He had a tender calf earlier this year, and just after returning from the DL, he tore his meniscus in a game while making a quick-pivot play. After undergoing successful meniscus surgery last Friday, Berkman will miss 8-10 weeks on the DL. When he returns, STL fans will be looking for the comeback of this fan favorite from last year.

Chris Carpenter is getting older, but then again pitchers don’t age like position players do. Carp, however, has been suffering nerve issues for much of his career, and this season is no different. He started the year on the disabled list, and continues to work toward returning to the rotation. While Lance Lynn has picked up where Carpenter left off – even better perhaps with an 8-1 win-loss record and 2.54 ERA – having this old workhorse back in the rotation would be a much-needed lift to Cardinal pitching.

If the Cardinals can all get healthy and piece the team back together, they’ll have a great chance to return to 2011 glory. But until then, they’ll have to continue taking their vitamins.