The More That you Read, the More you will Know

Today a reader, tomorrow a leader. Glenridge Elementary School’s annual Readathon is a PTO-sponsored reading incentive program for the K-5 grade levels at Glenridge. Lasting from Nov. 1 to Nov. 21, the motto and theme of this year’s Readathon was centered on the invaluable skills kids develop while reading books. “Basically it’s like, read, read, read a whole lot for a short period of time and develop a habit of reading every day,” Glenridge librarian Jude Hagene said. “My role in the Readathon is to get the kids excited.”

Everyone participating receives a certificate of completion, and those committed are rewarded with all sorts of prizes, including bikes, gift baskets and invitations to luncheons with the mayor of Clayton, Linda Goldstein. The class that reads the most collectively receives an extra recess and a pizza party; their teacher is rewarded with a spa package.

Although focused on supporting the kids and encouraging a habit of daily reading, the Readathon, as a fundraiser, helps Glenridge out as well.

“If they want to go around to neighbors and friends and relatives, they can ask to be sponsored so that they can raise money that will come to the school,” Hagene said.

Though the participants and funds raised have yet to be totaled, there are high hopes for the success of this year’s Readathon.

“I think it’s going to be a great success again this year,” co-chair of the 2011 readathon Kim Crawford said. “In the [2010 year] we had only 50 kids participate, I think there are about 350-360 students at Glenridge, and it seemed shocking.”

The 2010 moderately successful attempt motivated the faculty, and the Readathon set an idealistic goal of 200 students for the following year. When 2011 rolled past with 190 participants and approximately $10,000 in money raised towards buying iPads for the different grade levels, the goal was reasonably met.

“I think every year the kids get more excited about it,” Hagene said.  “You know, when the child first hears something in one grade and then hears it again in the next, it sort of builds momentum.”

Glenridge plans to use the money raised in this fourth year of the Readathon to renovate the stage area of the school’s playground. CHS librarian Lauran DeRigne offered her opinion on the plan.

“Any program that gets kids reading is good,” DeRigne said. “I think they should [read] regardless, [since] you know, adding the incentives sometimes is kind of a double edged sword.”

A love for reading begins at an early age and is the source of success later in life. The Readathon is about cultivating that love.

“No matter what your situation is, reading can take you to any place you ever would dream of,” said Crawford. “I agree, I don’t think a child should be rewarded for reading, but I think a little something that causes a spark isn’t a bad thing.”

According to Hagene, “If [students] choose to participate and if they promise to read, they are going to fill their minds with wonderful things and their hearts with inspiration.” ⎫