Cutting Strings

Featured above Clayton ViBravo orchestra made up of elementary and middle school students.

Budget cuts, they are inevitable in the deficit spending economy of present day United States. Nevertheless, none could’ve anticipated such passionate outcries against the effects of the $2 million dollar slice out of Clayton School District’s budget.

The sole teacher position of the Elementary Strings Program is one of the numerous salaries targeted for elimination. But unlike some positions affected, the laying off of Kristen Tourville would spell disaster for the Elementary Strings Program, who has touched countless lives and hearts through music.

“It teaches [elementary kids] responsibility because they have to bring their instrument, it helps them to learn to concentrate and to focus, it works on coordination, it works on reading skills and math skills because you have to count to a certain point, so it encompasses a lot of things,” Wydown Orchestra Teacher, Ann Geiler said.

These are all characteristics of academic success.

There will also be a trickling down effect due to the absence of the early start program. A detail that should not be forgotten.

“I think eventually, it’ll mean that the numbers are going to drop. When Mrs. Hoffman [CHS orchestra teacher] came to Clayton there were eight kids in the high school orchestra. We had to build it up, so when I came in, we started the fourth grade program,” Geiler said.

If the elementary strings program were to be eliminated, CHS would likely see a decline in number of students or even talent in its orchestras in six to seven years.

One possibility is to move the program to before school. But even so, a decline of participants would occur because some students such as transfer students and those with other responsibilities would be excluded.

The elementary strings program has come a long way in enriching and benefiting the Clayton community. Through the program, students are given wonderful opportunities to challenge themselves and to perform and grow. Opportunities which are rare and hard to find for some. I should know, I participated in the program from the beginning and I can’t begin to express how much it has made a difference in my life.

Elementary students should have the opportunity to play music, as I did, and to perform and to have their parents see them on stage and feel proud. Keeping that from them would be detrimental to the whole Clayton community.

For those interested, there will be a hearing by the school board from the public on Jan. 23 at the CHS library starting at 7 PM. If you’d like to speak you will have to come early and sign up. The actual vote will be on Jan. 30 where the board will decide on whether to take the cuts package. The package is available to read on the Clayton School District website.