An American Pope?

Cardinal Timothy Dolan

As news spread of Pope Benedict XIV’s resignation, rumors spawned almost immediately about possible successors. But one candidate stuck out – Cardinal Timothy Dolan. Dolan is also the Archbishop of New York, and as such is the face of American Catholicism. He also has ties to the St. Louis area; he served as the Auxiliary Bishop of St. Louis from 2001-2002 before being promoted.

But why is he being considered as a candidate for the papacy?

There has never been a Pope from the Americas, and as the Church seeks to reinforce its following here, Dolan is a prime candidate. He has experience with Catholics of all ethnicities and backgrounds; New York contains every strain of Catholicism possible.

But why would Dolan not be picked?

He lacks experience. Dolan has only served as a Cardinal for a year, and therefore is outranked in terms of seniority by many other Cardinals. He also speaks fewer languages than most Popes – he is fluent English and Italian but his Spanish is lacking. Also well, the Church is looking for a Pope from a developing country, and an American does not fit the bill.

Hopeful American Catholics have only one thing left to do. And that would be, well, to pray.