Clayton’s Symphonic and Concert Orchestras Give A Last Concert

Violinists Raymond Li, Ine Suh, Chi-Chi Onwumere, Sam Rubin, and Victoria Yi warming up for auditions for the Missouri All-State Orchestra, one of the orchestras recognized at the May 7 concert. (photo courtesy of Nuri Yi)

On May 7, Clayton’s Symphonic and Concert Orchestras gave their last concert of the year in the school auditorium.

The Symphonic Orchestra performed “Overture to Ruslan and Lyudmila,” “Waltz in A Minor” by Shostakovich, “American Sketches” by Joshua Reznicow, and “Skylife” by the Turtle Island Quartet, with improv soloists Gwyne Henke (cello), Doren Lan (violin), and Bruce Grossman (violin).

The Concert Orchestra performed “Heart and Soul,” “The Red Sea,” “Blue Rythmico,” and “Tico Tico.”

Brianna Latham and Matthew Caswell also performed Vivalid’s Concerto in a minor, which they played at the MSHSAA State Festival and got a Superior I rating for.  Cherry Tomatsu and Lemuel Lan played Vivaldi’s Concerto in g minor, which they also played at the State Festival and got a Superior rating for.

In addition to Latham, Caswell, Tomatsu and Lan, the concert also recognized 19 additional Superior ratings given at the MSHSAA State festival, as well as ten Excellent ratings.  Other accomplishments were also celebrated, like the All-State Orchestra, SLSMEA All-Suburban Orchestra, and participation in the Community Music School orchestras like the Young People’s Concert Orchestra and the Young People’s Symphonic Orchestra.

Although there was much joy, the concert was bittersweet, as it marked the last orchestra concert for nine seniors: Nkechi Onyema, Amelia Stubblefield, Jeron Navies, Justin Atkinson, Ben Nickelson, Deb Steinberg, Harrison Garrett, Mereditch McMahon, and Christa Kopp.  Each senior announced where they were going to college and gathered onstage to thank and speak to orchestra teacher Julie Hoffman.  “Orchestra is like a second home,” McMahon said.