CHS Symphonic Orchestra Invited to London New Years Day Parade

Described as the greatest parade in the greatest city in the world, CHS’s own Symphonic Orchestra is being invited to participate in the 2014-2015 London New Years Day Parade as well as the London Gala Series Concerts from Dec. 28 to Jan. 4 taking place in London.

Second violinist in Symphonic Orchestra, Sophomore Audrey Kastner is making plans to go on the trip with the orchestra next year.

“I’m very excited. I’ve always really wanted to go to London. I just think that it’s a really amazing city and the trip is a great opportunity” Kastner said.

The CHS Symphonic Orchestra was last invited to London in 2002. CHS Orchestra teacher Julie Hoffman remembers the trip fondly and is excited for the prospective second visit.

“I’m excited because I know, after having done that trip [before], what it did for all the students and for the orchestra,” Hoffman said. “I still hear from students from that [year’s] ensemble today who remember how wonderful that trip was and what a good experience it was for them, as both musicians and as just students.”

For the sake of flashiness, the CHS music wing will be given the honor of housing the occasion’s special plaque. Of course, with distinguished plaques come distinguished deliverers.

“Our invitation is coming through Lord Mayor Sandys, who is the former lord mayor of Westminster and also the great-grandson of Winston Churchill,” Hoffman said. “He and the director of the London New Years Day parade are coming here Mar. 25 to present us our invitation.”

But no great experience is without its faults. With the London Trip, there is one major concern.

“The biggest problem we have is cost. Trying to come up with ways of earning money to take every student on the trip because it’s best to have the full orchestra together rather than pieces of the orchestra,” Hoffman said.

Despite the hope that cost will not be an issue, the money aspect of the trip, which includes a substantial initial deposit, is preventing many from signing up. Junior Ashley Chung, 1st violinist in Symphonic Orchestra, shares her reasons for being unable to attend.

“First of all, I think it’s a little too over priced for me and my family’s budget,” Chung said, “and even though we are going to do fundraising, since we aren’t sure how much we’ll be able to raise, my parents don’t really want me to go.”

Despite the challenges Hoffman faces in organizing the trip, Hoffman is optimistic and hopes that support will come in from local businesses and alumni as parents and students gather together to come up with solutions of earning money and fundraising.

“I’m hoping that we can all work together and come up with a solution to go and find ways to go, rather than find ways not to go,” Hoffman said.

Nothing is impossible when the Clayton community works together. With effort and generosity, CHS will be able to experience full representation at the London New Year’s Day Parade next year. For now, only time will tell the fate of the CHS Symphonic Orchestra. May the long hours of planning end in London glory.