Warm weather didn’t stop fun at Hidden Valley

Although the weather’s been getting much warmer than the previous two weekends, the above-freezing temperatures still made for a great time at Hidden Valley Ski Resort. On Monday, Jan. 18, the temperatures reached above 50 degrees Fahrenheit but that didn’t stop devoted ski and snowboard fans from making the long trek out to the slopes.
The snow, or slush rather, was nice to have;  it made falling much softer but for those on the ground more than a few seconds, wet butts were sure to ensue.
In the softer snow, trying new tricks or even trying skiing or snowboarding for the first time was well worth it, as sophomore Adam Ferguson explained.
“It was always fun but sometimes it was probably more fun for the people watching me,” Ferguson said. “The fact that I’m still alive is because it was a warmer day.”
Hidden Valley Ski Resort, a flat and monotonous 40-minute drive from Clayton, was well worth it. As sophomore Taylor Gold pointed out, there are truly no other options for avid skiers and boarders.
“You don’t really think of skiing when you think of the Midwest so it’s surprising,” Gold said. “It’s the best you can get for the Midwest.”
Hopefully the weather will stay cold enough for Hidden Valley to stay open and make more snow. The resort already has a 50-70 inch base, an incredibly high amount of snow for such a small ski area.
With both the terrain parks still open, plenty of snow to last and all the runs open, there’s something for everyone at Hidden Valley.
Ferguson also pointed out a useful bit of information he learned while at Hidden Valley this past weekend.
“The best piece of advice I received was from Jack Holds,” Ferguson said. “‘Snowboarding is 10 percent skill and 90 percent how you look.’”
Make sure you hit the fresh pow to shred some nar ‘fore the meltdown broskis.