Love Trumps Hate

Why Hate, When You Can Love?

December 11, 2016

In the weeks following election night, many emotions have emerged on the forefront of the American people. Among feelings of loss, disappointment, failure and fear, one particular reaction permeates the public: hatred.

In response to the election, a hashtag with the title Trump’s America is circulating across Twitter and other social media, depicting the types of discriminatory behavior coming forth. Tweets featuring headlines such as “White Texas Teens Chant ‘Build That Wall’ To Latino Students During High School Volleyball Match” and pictures of graffiti with the Nazi swastika are just two examples of the rising ridicule and racism. Other posts recount personal experiences of angry name calling, such as “Cotton Picker” to African American high school students and a Muslim university student being told she cannot wear her hijab anymore.

This behavior is not a reflection of all Trump supporters, nor does it demonstrate views of republicanism and American conservatism, yet the political party is no longer an important factor. What is important, is the discriminatory and racist behavior developing.

Intolerance can be seen on the liberal side of life as well, especially in our own Clayton community. Students are refusing to speak to their relatives who voted for Trump and shaming their own peers for their conservative views.

The Internet definition of hatred is “intense dislike” or “ill will,” yet the reprehensible conduct infiltrating the nation seems more severe than an intense dislike.

Hatred is a destructive force. It is the root to some of the most horrific moments in American history. The emotion of hatred is powerful and can overtake someone’s mind so quickly. One can easily submit to hatred. But hatred’s priceless antonyms are harder to accept: forgiveness, hope, compassion and kindness.

Less than a hundred year ago, females gained the right to vote. Also in the last century, the Civil Rights Act outlawed racial discrimination. Even in recent years, homosexuals were granted the legalization of gay marriage. There’s a million more actions to take before we hit total equality and harmony, but compared to a hundred years ago, the United States is the most egalitarian it has ever been.

So why come so far to take so many steps back? Why spread so much hatred and anger? How do we, as students, combat it?

Love. It is the simple answer to all. Love, compassion and kindness is the solution. Maybe compassion cannot keep racial injustice from occurring and maybe kindness cannot stop the slough of racial slurs, but it’s a darn good place to start.

Islamophobia, racism, discrimination, prejudice, anti-semitism, scapegoating, bigotry and intolerance are very real and have been for centuries. Yet at the pinnacle of the holiday season, what better time is there than to spread love?

Hatred takes so much energy and it is a waste of precious time. Instead, spread love. Pay for a stranger’s coffee. Tell your friends and family how much you appreciate them. Anything from a smile, to a hug, to a donation will speak more than the hate that is so tangible in today’s world.

So take the opportunity of your fortune to lift hearts and lend a helping hand because no matter your race, your religion, your ethnicity, who you love or who you voted for, love trumps hate.