Arapahoe Basin in Colorado. Photo from http://powderskiingcolorado.com/.

Arapahoe Basin

September 14, 2017

Most people take advantage of the warm weather of summer to go to the beach or visit remote islands.  In most parts of the continent, the weather is warm and the skies are blue in June.  However, it is not like this everywhere.  

Arapahoe Basin ski area offers a getaway for those who want to escape the heat of summer.  With the low prices of ‘offseason’ and the enthusiastic atmosphere, no place can compare to the Arapahoe Basin ski mountain.  

When landing in Denver, the weather still feels like June.  The same heat of a Saint Louis June day fills the atmosphere of Denver.  However, Arapahoe Basin is less than a two hour drive from Denver International Airport.  Escalating the thousands of feet to the glacier, the temperature drops and snow begins to appear.  Soon after crossing the Continental Divide, the sight of an operating ski lift can be seen.  Arapahoe Basin is known to be a skier’s mountain.  Locals from around the mountain can be seen tailgating at the base of the mountain.  The other main attraction to the mountain is its late closing.  On good years, Arapahoe Basin stays open until the Fourth of July.  

While snow still fills the mountain, temperatures rise well into the sixties.  Skiers can be seen wearing shorts and even swimsuits.  Loud music blares and the atmosphere of the mountain is very enthusiastic.  

Very few people know of the secret ski mountain open well into the summer.  For many Saint Louisans, ski days are difficult to come by with the business of the school year.  But, with summer comes flexibility.  Many people have more time to travel in the summer but skiing is the last thing that comes to mind.  Arapahoe Basin offers a ‘fix’ for these skiers who want to add a few days to their season.  

Coming off the mountain, lodging is extremely inexpensive.  The month of June is considered the offseason in the mountains of Colorado as most mountains have shut down their ski operation.  During this time, the towns near Arapahoe Basin are almost silent.  This calmness is a perfect prescription for those who live a busy life elsewhere.  

While the snow may not live up to the conditions of mid February, the beautiful weather makes up for the conditions.  

This year, Arapahoe Basin celebrated its seventieth year of operation.  Standing as one of the oldest mountains in all of Colorado, the mountain still holds many of its rustic characteristics.  The lodges on the mountain are much older than competing mountains and many less updates.  But, many people like the rustic feel of the mountain.  

When you begin to make plans for next summer, forget the beach, that’s much too mainstream.  Experience the rustic feel of Arapahoe Basin.  Be adventurous and explore one of the greatest gems in all of Colorado.