Brooke Becker

February 23, 2018

Back to Article
Back to Article

Brooke Becker

Brooke Becker practicing her diving.

Brooke Becker practicing her diving.

Mallory Palmer

Brooke Becker practicing her diving.

Mallory Palmer

Mallory Palmer

Brooke Becker practicing her diving.

Brooke Becker, a sophomore and diver at Clayton High School, placed fourth during conference at Ladue, and qualified for state. She’s excited and amazed, the hard work and long hours she put into diving after a short two years finally paid off.

“I started diving freshman year and I’m a sophomore now,” Becker said. Having a history of gymnastics, it almost seemed natural to her to have started diving. “I started off doing gymnastics when I was little, so when my friend suggested that I should do diving and I was like yes sign me up.”

For Becker and most other people, diving can be very scary and requires a lot of experience and bravery. “It’s very scary, you have to have a certain mindset and be able to get back up right after you smack, which is pretty challenging,” Becker said.

However, her teammates  supports her throughout her diving experience. “We only have three divers which is really fun,” Becker says. Brooke is very thankful for her close relationship with the other divers that support her and that she supports as well.

She is also very thankful for her relationship with her coach. Janet Hollocher is the CHS diving coach for the swimming and diving team. “Janet is the best coach. We tried a bunch of techniques that help the little things. She’s the one that tells me not to be scared of anything which is very helpful,” Becker said.

Hollocher has worked with her since the very beginning of her diving experience. “Brooke is a pleasure to work with. She works hard at everything she does and she tries her very best and it’s a coach’s dream to work with a kid that does what you ask and works hard to achieve goals,” Hollocher said.  

After the regular swimming and diving meets, Becker qualified for conference and now is also qualified for state as well. “First we have all our regular meets and you can qualify for states with a certain difficulty and score. So those are six dive meets, and there’s eleven dive meets for invitational and conference. At conference I qualified and invitational I qualified,” she said.

Over the past two years, Becker has made a lot of progress on her diving career. She has made her coach and parents proud. “She started diving when she was a freshman and within a year I knew she was headed toward state,” Hollocher said.

About the Photographer
Mallory Palmer, Photographer

Mallory is super pumped to be a photographer for Globe this year! Her favorite things to photograph are portraits and concerts. She looks forward to an awesome year on Globe staff!