Students look forward to joining the military

Students and the MilitaryMany people look to college as their next step after graduating from high school, but there are also many who consider the military as an option.

According to Sgt. Andrew Haagan, a military recruiter for high school students in the St. Louis Area, 70 percent of military recruitees come straight out of high school.

Sophomore Albert Howard, who hopes to join the military after high school, said that the things that interest him in the military are, “discipline, money for college, and a place for me to go if things don’t work out.” He believes the military provides many opportunities to its enlistees.

Sophomore Freddy Barnes also aspires to join the military.

Barnes wants to go to Annapolis after high school and then complete his five years of service.

Barnes feels that by joining the military, he can gain the personality that he values so much in military men and women.

“I see the military as a way to achieve a personality of discipline and to be driven,” Barnes said.

“Most people who join the military find friendships that last the rest of their lives,” Haagan said. “It is one of the best places to learn camaraderie and friendship. When you are out in the middle of nowhere, you only have yourself and your buddies.”

However, as of right now, the military has a surplus of men and women.

According to an article in The Washington Post, the Pentagon cites the rise in unemployment and bonuses for the reason that hundreds of thousands of citizens have enlisted.

“As of about a year and a half ago, [the military] lowered its standards, so eventually it has had to raise the standards in the last six months because it doesn’t need so many enlistees,” Haagan said.

“I have family members who are in the military,” said Howard. “I saw it as an option rather than college, since it could provide me a job and money.”

Howard said that one of his military heroes is a relative serving in the Middle East who saved a platoon from a roadside bomb.

“It shows that I am willing to put my life on the line for America,” Howard said. “It also shows that I want to do something with my life.”

Although Barnes always found the military interesting, it was not until a couple of years ago that he decided he wanted to join the military.

Barnes says that for several years he spent a lot of time at the St. Louis Country Fair and Country Show since his dad flies recreationally. Over those years, the military appeal to him developed.

“I spent a lot of time with the military pilots. I saw their driven personality and this made me want to do it also,” said Barnes

Howard is now getting ready for the military.

“I am mentally trying to keep my grades so I can show that I am willing to work,” Howard said. “I do a lot of push-ups and sit-ups before I go to bed. I am lifting weights to get physically strong.”

Barnes is also starting to work towards his future in the military.

“I am working physically by working out a lot and getting my body in shape,” Barnes said. “I am following the courses that anyone would need to get into college. I am trying to get good grades and good test scores. I am aiming high. I am also looking to political sponsorships and getting letter recommendations from federal Congress members.

Barnes says that he is not trying to prove anything by joining the military.

“It is about serving the country, and for the people who serve beside me,” Barnes said. “I would do the job for free because it is not about the money.”

The military provides for many discipline, and the ability to pursue education after high school. It also gives people a broad perspective of the world, introducing to them places that they could not have traveled to before.

“Where can you go to serve your country, get college benefits, experience, and get everything all paid for at the same time?” Haagan said.

Although not all hear the call of the military, those who do are passionate about their decision.

$150
$2000