Arts Fair steering committee prepares for annual festive event

The Arts Fair Steering Committee meets in the Greyhound room, where they plan for this years’ Special School District Arts Fair. The Arts Fair is an event many CHS students and faculty participate in with enthusiasm (Jen Maylack)

Students will have a chance to sign up for the Arts Fair, an event where students are assigned a buddy who they help around and make crafts with. The annual Clayton High School and Special School District Arts Fair will be held on Thursday, April 8, 2010. “It is the most fun day of school you’ll ever go to,” junior Scott Jeffrey said.
In order to participate, students will have to go through buddy training. Shelby Sternberg, a member of the activities committee for the arts fair, explained the training.
“It is not a very big commitment,” Sternberg said. “You are just required to sign up, make a card for your buddy during lunch and attend a buddy training session for a period, and then be a buddy on the big day.”
Students, however, do have the choice of attending the Arts Fair day at school. Jeffrey does not like this procedure.
“I dislike how the school allows people to think it’s optional, because then some kids, without realizing it, miss out on an incredible, eye-opening, and all around fun day,” Jeffrey said.
Though students have the choice of attending, 80% of Clayton High School students participate in some way at the Fair.
This Arts Fair will bring some of the same activities, but an exciting new theme.
“The theme is Museums, and it’s going to be incredible,” Jeffrey said. “There will all types of museums for the different individual rooms.”
Sternberg said there will be three wings, with art, history, and science museums.
Jeffrey also said that the committee has arranged for storytellers, music provided by the middle and high school bands and possibly a magician. Members of the committee work hard in order to prepare for the big day.
Sophomore Isabella Jacobs participated in her first Arts Fair last year. She found it to be a moving experience and plans on participating in the event every year of high school.
“I would definitely recommend volunteering to freshman and other students,” Jacobs said. “The kids just get so excited from the activities, and this makes everyone happy.”
Activities Director Mike Nelke, in his first year, has seen firsthand how much students enjoy preparing for the Arts Fair.
“I’ve helped out with this event in the past but you do not realize how much planning goes into one day until you actually do it,” Nelke said. “It’s neat to see how excited and enthusiastic our students are about this day.”
This year 250 SSD students will be paired with the 300 Clayton High School students. The Arts Fair is between 8 a.m. and 3 p.m and the day will be filled with numerous art activities, performances, and entertainment for CHS students and their buddies. Students will be given a chance to sign up for the fair during third hour on a day before spring break.
Nelke and Sternberg agreed that helping at the Arts Fair is a great chance to learn.
“It’s a great opportunity to get to know and help a fellow student,” Nelke said.
“Even if you may feel a little uncomfortable at first, it is a good day to learn how to be in situations that aren’t always easy,” Sternberg said.