“The Crazies” is Crazy Fun

Remember the 1974 George A. Romero film “The Crazies”? Me neither. Well, having never seen the original (mainly because it is nowhere to be found), I did not know how I would enjoy the remake. It turns out that “The Crazies” is one of the most exhilarating zombie/horror movies I have ever seen. And I’ve seen a lot.

Directed by Breck Eisner, “The Crazies” follows Sheriff David Dutton, played by the underrated Timothy Olyphant, who watches over the peaceful town of Ogden Marsh, Iowa. Since the population of Ogden Marsh is so small, pretty much everybody knows and respects each other. While the sheriff and his partner (played by Joe Anderson) watch a baseball game, one of the locals walks into the middle of the field with a shotgun, ready to shoot someone. The sheriff manages to kill the person and assumes he was drunk. After the coroner finds out that his BAC was 0.0, things start to go, well, crazy.

It turns out that there is a poison in the water supply, but how the poison got there will only be revealed to those who see the film. I will tell you, though, that the source is a little far-fetched, but nevertheless interesting. The sheriff and his pregnant wife, played by the lovely Radha Mitchell, now have to find a way out of the city, not only because there are zombies on the loose, but because the military quarantined the town, fearing that the virus will spread. This is where the film really kicks into high gear, since there are now two things the protagonists have to worry about.

“The Crazies” is both well acted and well directed, and is definitely scary. Olyphant does a great job as the hero, and it is a shame that he doesn’t get that many good film roles. Radha Mitchell also does well as the pregnant wife, but the chemistry between her and Olyphant was a little weak. Eisner does an excellent job at creating tense and suspenseful moments, but is now a proven master at jump scares. This film is packed full of jump moments, and some of them will bounce you out of your seat. The cinematography is also good for a horror film, and some set pieces are absolutely stunning, especially the terrifying car wash scene.

While “The Crazies” is fun, it is so full of typical horror movie clichés (the classic “wait here” line is present more than twice). False scares where there may be a jump but isn’t? Check. The protagonist is immune to the disease? Check. What about the cocky partner who doesn’t like to follow orders? You bet. However, these are used so regularly in movies today that it does not hurt the experience. But REALLY? Can’t there be anything new anymore? It’s a good thing the movie has strong characterization and a story that makes sense because this horror film would have ended up like all the others: in the $5 bargain bin.

Overall, “The Crazies” simply takes all of the usual horror movie formulas and presents them in a unique way, and it adds up to be a fun ride. It’s scary, sometimes sad, and mostly silly, but that is what makes it worth watching. You’d be crazy to miss it.