Fast food choices in downtown Clayton

The city of Clayton has many restaurants and eateries for its local businesses, residential communities and schools that it supports.  There is everything from breakfast joints to expensive steakhouses.  However, when a CHS student departs from campus to go out for lunch, fast food is really the best option.

There are a limited variety of fast food places in Clayton.  Sandwich places seem to be the choice of the town as there is a St. Louis Bread Company, Quiznos, and two Subways.

There are two more fast food restaurants that reside in Clayton with more unique types of cuisine.

Jen Maylack
Jen Maylack

Plush Pig Barbeque offers anything barbeque, and Pei Wei has everything Asian.  Despite its wide menu, Plush Pig Barbeque is not often CHS students’ first choice.  Pei Wei, with its equally wide menu but high prices, is also not a student favorite.

Health is also a factor when choosing lunching material.  Subway and Bread Co. advertise themselves as the healthier choices of fast food in Clayton and also appear to be CHS student favorites.

After a week of observation, there was not one day where Subway didn’t have at least one student customer.  Its proximity also doesn’t hurt its reviews.

In a small poll, St. Louis Bread Company was the overwhelming favorite when given only the five restaurants above as choices.  Often students do not prefer fast food and Bread Co., although it is expedient counter service, is far from the greasy, fatty stereotype.

Quiznos loses out to Subway in many students’ minds.  Some were unaware that it even existed in Clayton.  The chain has been slowly losing popularity in the area. This is probably because it does not offer as much variety as Subway.

Pei Wei gained some votes in the poll, so it is some students’ first choice for a quick meal.  Pei Wei offers both carry out and sit down service.  Their menu is featured on a television screen, offering a contemporary ambiance for customers and easily changed specials.

“I like that their food is fresh,” sophomore Anya Anokhin said.

Anokhin prefers Pei Wei despite its high price.  Even though it is very near the school campus, many are turned away due to the price.

“I usually go outside of Clayton to either Wendy’s or McDonald’s,” sophomore Alex Yepez said.

Yepez has a couple of reasons as to why he does not normally lunch on Clayton cuisine.

“First of all, it’s very expensive,” Yepez said.  “A lot of the restaurants are not fries and burgers, and if they are, they are overly expensive.”

Another strike against Clayton fast food restaurants is the fact that they do not offer a drive through, a popular attribute among students.

This can cause longer waits for food, which wastes students’ precious free periods.  Time is a key factor and disadvantage when departing off campus for meals.