Since Parkland

For one year following the mass shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, over 200 teen reporters created profiles for every child, age 0 to 18, who was killed due to gun violence.
Since Parkland, the culmination of these reporters’ work, stemmed from The Trace, along with the Gun Violence Archive and several other organizations.
The project covered the stories of 1,200 American children killed by gun violence over a 12 month period. Each story is roughly 100 words; a brief synopsis of an entire life.
“It’s not like the ordinary, you know. You’re not always working on projects like these… they’re so excruciatingly hard but then you’re also just so very grateful to be doing good work,” said Beatrice Motamedi, Senior Project Editor and Curriculumaa Designer on Since Parkland.
Reporting for the project often occurred through the use of social media. Students would contact various people connected to the individual they were reporting on to understand what they were like before they passed away.
“The students did a really good job, they used a lot of social media to try and reach out. We had one story where the student contacted the grandmother, and texted back and forth with them about what her grandchild was like,” Mohamati said.
CHS student Lila Taylor participated in the project as a Teen Outreach Editor.
“The project opened my eyes to gun violence outside of the St. Louis area. I knew gun violence was a problem here; protests were held minutes from my house and trials were held blocks from my school,” Taylor said. “Working on Since Parkland created a national connection that I had been lacking. Working with the other Teen Outreach Editors made me realize how passionate people were about this project and this issue.”
The project aimed to not only report on the child deaths across the nation, but to humanize the statistics. Each story gives insight on those often only seen as another point in a sea of data.

$50
$2000