Softball Hounds place second in tournament

If anyone wants to know how a game went, all they have to do is look at the aftermath on the field. It is far more telling than any account can ever be. So, the state of the baseball diamond, peppered with shoe prints, scuff marks, and even a little blood, tells the story of a team banding together, to fight and win. It tells the story of a varsity softball tournament.

On Sept. 1 and 2, the CHS varsity Softball team participated in a four-team tournament, coming away with a second place finish. The first game was played on Sept. 1 against the University City Lions.Although the team was behind, they pulled together for an incredible rally in the last three innings, winning 22-17.

The team played against the Ladue Rams on Sept. 2. The game did not go well from the start, and after six brutal innings, Clayton lost 29-3. The overall performance in the tournament earned the team a second place trophy.

The players claimed that their less-than stellar performance on the second day was due to intimidation, not lack of talent.

“We weren’t on it today,” sophomore Michaela Idleburg said. “Ladue was here before we even got out of school, and it intimidated us.”

Caitlin Kropp
Caitlin Kropp

As the game is so early in the season, the softball players can take a lesson away from the loss, and use it to their advantage.

“We definitely learned today,” senior Arreale Johnson-Orange said. “We can play better, and we know how to do that next time we play.”

Skills and the game are certainly the two main focuses of the team, but another aspect plays an important role: cheering on their teammates. The entire team keeps up an almost constant stream of encouragement for the players on the field.

“When we cheer, it’s really good, and a big part of the team,” Johnson-Orange said. “It brings the whole team up, and people play better because of it.”

The team hopes to use their cheering to their advantage, bonding the team for the season to come.

“I just hope that we do our best to work together,” sophomore Haley Wartman said. “We’ll do a lot better if we all work with each other.”

Along with the cooperation, player improvement is a big hope for the season. If some wins come out of that improvement, all the better.

“I hope that everyone can improve,” Johnson-Orange said, “and maybe we can pull a couple of wins out of that improvement.”

View Comments (1)
$50
$2000