Summer Unraveling

It is the end of the school year, meaning students are scrambling to find old assignments to turn in, digging up old tests and quizzes, and most importantly, cramming night after night in preparation for finals.
However, despite this frantic worrying sweeping the school, finals has actually become a peaceful time of the year for me. As I write this, a woman walks her dog in the glowing sun, the trees slightly sway with the breeze, and the worries for finals slowly evanesce.
School is, after all, finished for the year, and normal classes will not resume for many months. Yes, a sigh of relief.
Although my thoughts have not yet turned to those of summer, and my brain is still turned on, the blue skies are inviting and the birds’s chirping is only more of a reminder that three tests from now, I will be able to sleep until one in the afternoon and spend my nights out of the house.
Finals, if allowed fair consideration, aren’t actually that bad. Sure, they are big tests that determine a large portion of a person’s grade in a one and a half hour time frame, but as long as the individual has been paying attention for the past semester, they’re simply a reminder of what was learned in the class, not a backhanded way for teachers to condescendingly punish floundering students.
Granted, there is plenty of pressure from parents, or that students place upon themselves, but as I pointed out to a classmate today, going into a final exam with the grade of an A, about 95%, and getting a 0% on the final, only drops the grade down to a C or even B, depending on the course. A 50%, which is much more likely than a 0%, would only drop the grade down to a B, B+, or A-, depending on the class and current grade. Finals, in my opinion is overrated, and over-stressing is both unprofitable and extremely counterproductive.
That’s not to say that it’s not worth trying on final exams; obviously time spent studying is good, and a night of solid sleep coupled with a hearty breakfast can make the three hours of testing much easier, but taking the week too seriously can ruin the entire course experience, as well as spoil the summer by diving into the two and a half month break with a poor disposition.
I look at it this way: as summer unravels and spring comes to a close, bringing with it enjoyable weather and swimsuit season, the “spring” in my mind that was wound so tight at the beginning of second semester has completely relaxed and made way for an enjoyable summer of rest.