CHS musicians seek challenge

CHS offers many opportunities for talented musicians. CHS Symphonic Orchestra is offered for kids who want to go above and beyond CHS Concert Orchestra. Sometimes those opportunities are not enough to challenge very advanced musicians at CHS.
 St. Louis Symphony Youth Orchestra is made up of highly developed high school musicians.

This orchestra offers the highest level of playing opportunity for advanced students. These students must be serious and usually take private lessons.
 According the CHS orchestra director Julie Hoffman, students need to make a serious commitment to being a good player and have a strong passion for music to be qualified for Youth. Many of these players have gone through years of individual practice and playing in orchestras.

CHS student Henry Myers is a cellist for SLSYO.

“These students play at a higher skill level and have gone through other orchestras,” Hoffman said “Youth Orchestra is a great resource allows students to achieve that what is not offered in school.”

Plenty of students audition for Youth Orchestra every year and go through the same grueling audition process. They first play in the preliminaries. They play two scales and a piece of their choice.

Then, if the judges think they have what it takes to compete in the next round, the students advance to the finals. There they play in the prestigious Powell Symphony Hall. This is same hall in which the St. Louis Symphony plays.

Senior Elle Jacobs has gone through this process a total of six times, including this year.

“I think the audition process is a stressful two weeks, but I feel great when it’s over,” said Elle. “Making the orchestra is really rewarding because a lot of people work really hard to get in, and some don’t make it. It takes great sound, accurate rhythm, style and a contrast in dynamics.”

Some students, like junior Matthew Millett are auditioning for the first time. Millett was very nervous he was when he had to perform in Powell Hall for the first time.
 He also emphasized what it took for him to really push is playing to the limit.

“I practiced a lot more than I usually would.” Millett said. “To get into the orchestra, it takes a lot of work. The people who play in these orchestras can be skilled beyond belief, and the only way to really rise to their level is to practice, practice, practice.”

Youth Orchestra puts these talented musicians to the test, a far greater challenge for them than those offered at school. These students also get support from teachers. Orchestra director Julie Hoffman tries to give them time to practice before the audition.

A few days before the audition, the students auditioning had an opportunity to play before the  CHS orchestra so that his or her peers could offer their support.
 Youth Symphony is a great opportunity for young musicians hoping to go far with their music. All their practice and weekly rehearsals lead up to a final result: a concert that shows off all their hard work.

“I’ve sat in those concerts and am amazed that I am hearing high school students,” Hoffman said.

The challenging repertoire and the difficult audition process makes a great learning experience for those who audition. They are just grateful to have a chance the express their talent and passion for music outside the boundaries of school.

Concert dates for the St. Louis Symphony Youth Orchestra include Sunday, November 14; Sunday, March 20; and Sunday, May 15. All at 3 p.m.