Federer: Too old for the new generation of tennis?

Dreams of the much anticipated Federer-Nadal championship match at the 2010 US Open were crushed on Saturday, September 11 when Novak Djokovic endured a grueling five sets to upset the no. 2 seed, Roger Federer, in the mens semifinals.
This, admittedly, is not breaking news or the highlight of the tournament; Nadal’s win over Djokovic was the culmination of an inspiring men’s tournament. However, Federer and Djokovic’s match marked a great turning point in both Federer’s career and the history of tennis.
Federer, who had been steadily cruising through this celebrated Grand Slam tournament, seemed in no trouble, not having lost a set up to the semifinals. The previous 6 years of his career had suggested he would have little trouble advancing to the finals considering 2004-2008 he was the US Open champion and 2009 he was the runner up, defeated by Juan Martín del Potro.
However, something very uncharacteristic of Fed shone through in his match against Djokovic.
With 16 major career titles (Grand Slam) and countless others, not to mention the 55-plus million dollars he had amassed solely in prize money (endorsements are the true money maker), it is likely Federer simply did not have the drive to win.
He missed balls that are put-away shots, even for junior players.
He stayed deep in the court for a solid portion of the match.
And he did not compete to the level Djokovic did, despite the less amount of energy Fed had expended over the two week tournament.
Federer simply lacked the will to win.
On the other hand, Djokovic had yet to win the US Open, let alone advance to a US Open finals, and on a injured ankle and little rest, he still had the burning desire to win.
You could see it in his eyes, and his feet. The great coverage over the court Djokovic displayed was a key factor; he ran down and returned balls an ordinary man wouldn’t dream of getting a racket on.
This brings to light another change in the professional-level tennis community that is perhaps beginning to take place.
No longer are the days of graceful, flowing strokes, those of Federer, a necessity to create a winning game. The extreme athleticism in conjunction with a powerful backhand is now a great weapon capable of taking down the former world number one, as Djokovic stands testament to. The muscly forehand and great ball anticipation, combined with furiously fast footwork that Nadal showcases also suggests the transition of playing style in men’s tennis.
As Billie Jean King, former women’s great said of Federer during the semifinals, he combines the older style of play with the modern speed and racket abilities, which is what makes Federer a joy to watch.
We are witnesses to the genesis of a new era of tennis.
Roger Federer, who is now 29 and married, in contrast to the 23-year-old Novak Djokovic and 24-year-old Rafael Nadal, who are not yet wed, is beginning to reach that age where the moniker (yes, scary to many) old is becoming relevant.
We can only wait with bated breath as a new chapter of this worldwide sensational sport unfolds.