Talking Points: Bagels vs. Donuts

Bagels are versatile, nutritious

by Marilyn Gund

There are only a few types of foods that you can eat for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. And the most tasty, filling, and versatile of these foods is the amazing bagel. This is a great snack for any time of the day.
But what is the bagel? The easy answer is that it is a tasty ring-shaped bread product that comes in many varieties. According to legend, the bagel was originally a tribute to the King of Poland from a local baker after the King cleared the land of Turkish invaders in 1783. The King was a great horseman, so the baker shaped the bread in the form of his stirrup, and called it the Austrian word for stirrup, beugal.
However, this most likely did not happen. Other accounts say that the bagel was invented in Poland as a competitor to bublik, which is a similar bread product but is chewier and has a bigger hole in the middle. The bagel became popular among Jewish families because it could be made quickly after the Sabbath was over. Bagels were brought to America by immigrants, and soon became very popular, especially after automated production was implemented, letting bakers make more bagels in less time.
The bagel is one of the most versatile foods out there. You can eat it plain or add multiple ingredients. Stack a plain bagel with ham and cheese and you have yourself a sandwich. Spread a blueberry bagel it with cream cheese and you have a delicious snack. Eat a cinnamon crunch and get your sugar fix. You can’t do that to a donut. Any way that you eat a bagel, it is a tasty and filling treat.
Bagels come in many flavors, too, so you can always get a different one. Flavors include chocolate chip, sesame, cinnamon crunch, asiago cheese, everything, cinnamon raisin, whole wheat, or just plain.
Also, you can get a bagel almost anywhere. Go into downtown Clayton for St. Louis Bread Co, hop on over to Clayton Road for Einstein’s or you can just run in to your local bakery.
If you compare a plain bagel from the St. Louis Bread Co with an old fashioned cake donut from Dunkin’ Donuts, you will find that the donut has 320 calories, while the bagel has 290. However, the donut has 22g of fat while the bagel has just 1.5g. It also has 10g of saturated fat, and the bagel has none. The donut also has 25mg of cholesterol, and the bagel has none. The bagel also has only 3g of sugar, while the donut has nine. So, if you are looking for a more healthy option, stick with the bagel.
Also, with the bagel’s unique shape, you don’t have to just eat it. Wear an edible ring! Play Frisbee with your dog! Have a bagel ring toss! Whatever you can think of, the bagel will probably be able to do it.
The donut has many contributing factors, such as its unhealthy sweet glaze or its gooey texture. But the bagel? You get a yummy and filling meal that goes with just about anything, and doesn’t even make your fingers sticky.

Donuts are sweet and delicious

by Chris Cho

Americans eat close to 10 billion donuts every year. That’s an average of 35 donuts per person. These sugary, savory, and sweet treats are admired every day by Americans all over the country.
Donuts are not just a commodity; they have become a necessity for everyone around the world. With over one millions stores across America, companies like Dunkin’ Donuts and Krispy Kreme catch the eyes of hungry people every day.
Donuts are definitely a “staple” product of our everyday lives. The certain origins are unknown, but according to a theory they were introduced to North America by Dutch settlers. Hansen Gregory claimed that he invented the hole in the donut by punching a hole in the center of the dough for a less raw center.   Dunkin’ Donuts was started 60 years ago, and of 2010, 97% of U.S. residents recognized the Dunkin Donut brand, while only 57% recognized Einstein Bros. Bagels brand. Not only are residents aware of Dunkin’ Donuts, but these donuts also deliver their savory taste to a vast range of income levels and all ages.
Dunkin’ Donuts stated 24% of donuts were sold to people earning $45,000 to $75,000 a year, 30% to those earning $0-$35,000 per year, and 46% to those earning $75,000 or more per year. Donuts from Dunkin are easily accessible for everyone no matter how much they earn.
After a night of sleep (or lack of), many consumers want a nice hot cup of coffee. Whether it’s at home or at a local store, people not only want coffee, but a delicious piece of bread to go alongside this caffeinated drink.
This bread is what we call a donut. Ranging from different tastes, breads, fillings, and frosting the perfect breakfast combo includes a coffee and a donut. What makes these delicious deserts treats so favorable? Some may say it is the sweet-tasting sensation of the frosting and others may say it is the variety that donuts can offer. Chocolate coconut cake donut, chocolate frosted cake donut, chocolate frosted donut, chocolate glazed cake donut, chocolate kreme filled donut, cinnamon cake donut, double chocolate cake donut, and glazed cake donut are just some types of donuts. Not only is the donut amazingly delicious, but it is healthier than most breakfast meals. If we compare one glazed donut to a bagel, the nutrition facts lean to the donuts without question.
Dunkin’ Donuts not only offers donuts, but other foods such as coffee and, coincidentally, bagels. On it’s nutrition site online, the plain bagel has 320 calories while the glazed donut has 260. Of course, who only eats a plain bagel? When plain cream cheese is added, that bagel may be a whopping 470 calories.
With the donut, you do not need to take the time of spreading the bagel with cream cheese. It’s healthier, sweeter, and easier to access. What more can you want in a piece of bread?