Chicago’s Harry Potter exhibit impresses

Unaware visitors of Chicago’s Museum of Science and Industry probably do not expect to find a heap of finely-crafted magic wands, a couple of mock-up house elves, and a troupe of museum employees insisting on speaking to patrons in bad British accents and vernacular.

However, all that and many more Harry Potter film-related items will remain in Chicago until Sep 27 as part of Harry Potter the Exhibition, a world-traveling display full of props, costumes and set pieces from the six released Potter movies. The exhibit is interactive, inviting guests to harvest a shrieking Mandrake, toss a Quaffle into a Qudditch hoop, and sit in Hagrid’s massive arm chair.

Visitors to the exhibit can expect to discover the extreme detail, most of which the film does not do justice, movie makers put into props. Color illustrations adorn each text book cover, the head of a Chinese Fireball dragon is frighteningly realistic, and the ice cream cones from some feast appear delicious, almost as if they are just beginning to melt.

Any avid Harry Potter fan would recognize most of the costumes displayed in the Exhibition. Hermione’s (Emma Watson) pink dress robes sit beside Ron’s (Rupert Grint) lacy maroon ones in the Yule Ball section. Some costumes reflect plenty of personality—Professor Sprout, Hogwarts’s Herbology teacher, dons a cloak with a collar made of velvet leaves and that is lined in fauna-patterned material. Hagrid’s enormous attire towers above set pieces on an over-sized mannequin in a reproduction of Hagrid’s hut.

Whether admirers of the evil Voldemort and his army of Death Eaters, the whimsical talking paintings that line the wizard school’s corridors, or even the conceited and clueless Professor Lockhart, Harry Potter fans can find something to tickle their wizarding fancy at Harry Potter the Exhibition.