The joy of ‘90s sitcoms: looking to the past for laughs and entertainment

It’s about the only break from school I get during the week. Every day at 5 p.m., I turn on the TV. And it’s not to watch some dumb reality TV show or to see rich celebrities argue with each other. No, my form of entertainment is much better than the television of today. I turn on the TV to watch some good ol’-fashioned ’90s sitcoms: “Friends” and “Everybody Loves Raymond”.

Anyone who has yet to watch one episode of either show is sorely missing out. They are among the best sitcoms – may I even go so far as to say the best shows? – on Earth.

“Friends” is about, as the title so illustriously says, a group of friends. This includes fashionable Rachel, geeky Ross, eccentric Phoebe, airheaded Joey, bossy Monica, and sardonic Chandler. Together, they act as one hilarious, dysfunctional family, even though they all live separate lives. Everyday occurrences become comical stretches of time and the viewer gets to know the characters really well.

Upon first glance, “Friends” may seem like a show lacking any substance. Actually, it probably is, if a person does not delve into the depths of the characters’ souls, but then, that can be true of any show.

Each character’s quirks add to the funniness of each episode. I don’t think any given episode would be as funny if the directors cut out Monica vacuuming a vacuum or Joey and Chandler’s weird but understandable love for Duck, Jr., and Chick, Jr.

Combine the characters’ peculiarities with their awkward romances – Ross and Rachel, anyone? – and everyday interactions, a person ends up watching side-splitting antics.

Of course, “Friends” could never compare to “Everybody Loves Raymond”. “Everybody Loves Raymond” is basically the epitome of an enjoyable sitcom.

“Everybody Loves Raymond” is about Raymond (of course), his wife Deborah, his kids, and his parents, and his brother; but mostly, it’s all about Raymond.

Even though his mother, Marie, pampered Raymond like a prince while completely ignoring his older brother Robert, his father, Frank, was cold and distant when Raymond was a child.

But there’s more. Just when you thought things couldn’t get any worse, it is revealed that Frank, Marie, and Robert continuously barge in his home, because all three live right across the street from him.

Everybody who loves Raymond in the show makes up one completely, ridiculously dysfunctional family. The show wouldn’t be the same without Marie and Deborah’s constant contesting for Raymond’s attention, Raymond and Robert’s sibling rivalry, or Frank’s odd habits.

Just watching the Barone family’s behavior is enough to laugh out loud. It’s not everyday that I get invited into another family’s house to watch them live in a way that can make me keel over with laughter.

Sure, maybe it seems a bit odd that, as a teenager, I am watching old ‘90s sitcoms instead of “90210” or “Gossip Girl”. But, I highly recommend watching these two shows to get a hearty laugh.

Turn on the TV and start laughing.