Future of snow days under scrutiny

Though likely not a qualification in searching for a new superintendent, Mary Herrmann brings a unique background to Clayton regarding winter weather.

From Madison, Wis., where the average snowfall is more than twice that of St. Louis, and as a superintendent in the Chicago area, Herrmann is more than familiar with snow.

Students look forward to the possible snow days this winter. (Jackie Leong)

Students have questioned whether Clayton would see less snow days based on Hermann’s experience in the north.

Upon hearing of the Herrmann’s origin, junior Stephanie Avery became frightened that students might lose a day which they love.

“Snow days are much needed breaks in the school year,” Avery said. “I hope this doesn’t mean the end of them.”

Hermann commented on her background in Madison.

“As a child, I never experienced the snow day,” Herrmann said. “We get accustomed to lots and lots of snow, and rarely call a snow day up in the north. Even, in the Chicago area we could get quite a bit of snow without calling or even considering calling a snow day.”

However, Herrmann was aware that snow days were called on a different basis in St. Louis and said that “every situation is different.”

When determining whether to call a day off, student safety is the number one priority. Herrmann, previously superintendent of a K-8 district, will have to consider differences in transport to school between here and Chicago.

“The big factor is whether kids get to school safely,” Hermmann said. “We have to consider student transportation to school. Students walking, and the bus system are all factors we should consider.”

Herrmann expressed concern in high school drivers getting to school safely. According to Herrmann, practicing driving in wintry conditions was a central part of learning to drive in Wisconsin. This is not the case in St. Louis, and many students will be driving in icy conditions for the first time this upcoming winter.
In balance with student safety is the problem of missing a valuable opportunity to teach. Snow days also pose a problem for parents who have young children.

“You try to be as objective as possibly when making a decision,” Herrmann said. “Each time you call a snow day you have to ask if it’s really necessary. Keeping these things in mind, student safety is always at the top.”

Often, the inability for teachers to reach the school is a factor in calling snow days as well.
“In the Chicago suburbs, traffic was always bad anyway,” Herrmann said. “With the snow, it might take over two hours for a teacher to get to work, which would lead to students without teachers in the classroom.”

In addition to checking the roads, school grounds and forecasts, St. Louis offers an additional step in the process that will be new to Hermann.

“We have a conference call with all the superintendents in the area at 4:30 in the morning,” Hermann said. “We talk about what we know and our plans. I am learning that this is a very important step in the process of determining a snow day.”

Though Clayton has not implemented this, past CHS planners have mentioned the possibility of a late start on snow days. Avery noticed and wondered about this rule listed in the planner.

“It seems like a good idea to push back school instead of keeping it on,” Avery said. “It would be much safer to drive to school at 9 a.m. because the streets are normally much clearer.”

Herrmann agreed that the late start could be beneficial.

“We used the late start in my other districts,” Herrmann said. “It is a little more complicated in some ways, getting the message out, but it definitely has its benefits. I need to talk to others about this possibility and if it is actually seriously considered in the district.”

Herrmann expects complaints this year, no matter the call she makes. At Winnetka Public Schools 36, she has received complaints after every single snow day decision.

“Snow days are a tough one,” Herrmann said. “There are so many different factors and considerations, and there are some people who are happy with the call and some who are angry. You get used to the pressure and parents are just responding because the call impacts them.”

No matter the decision Herrmann will be forced to make this winter, she is prepared for parental criticism.

“I just have to try to think that I am responsible for the safety of all these students and staff, so I am going to do my best and look at all the different factors to make that decision,” Herrmann said.