Newly created math bulletin boards bring students together through thought provoking visuals

At CHS there are many different methods of bringing the school together. There’s spirit week, team sports and Big Sis and Little sis to help make the school into a closely-knit community.

However, we normally do not expect something as simple as a bulletin board to help bring the school together.

Geometry teacher Jane Glenn stands next to the attention-grabbing bulletin board she created. (Andrea Stiffelman)

The bulletin board outside of the math rooms next to math teacher Jane Glenn’s room is covered with puzzles, riddles and pieces of exemplary math projects.

Before and after school, even between classes, people gather near the bulletin board for a quick brainteaser before class. Glenn, a freshmen geometry teacher, is the “queen” of this bulletin board.

“The bulletin board was originally set up to display the work that we do in the math wing and to give kids a quick brain teaser before class, “ Glenn said. “I’ve felt a lot of good feedback. I’ve seen everyone from students to teachers to custodians to substitute teachers just taking a little time to try to figure out one of the riddles.”

Sophomore Emma Riley has really enjoyed the bulletin board and what it has brought to the school.

“The bulletin board gives people the chance to step out of their busy school schedules and take a moment to relax, to try to solve a problem with someone you might not really know,” Riley said. “It allows them to make friends with others who are doing the same thing.”

Not only has this bulletin board acted as a place where students can take refuge from their demanding classes, but it has also proven to be a communication device that has helped bring some students closer together.

“I actually got to talk to other people about how they figured out how the pictures worked.” freshman Abbie Kohmetscher said.

The students of CHS are talking to people they wouldn’t otherwise talk to because of this simple bulletin board.

Riley actually met someone in the process of figuring out a riddle.

“I met a really nice guy there,” Riley said.  “We were trying to perform the same verbal-visual puzzle thing. We both started laughing every time the other one screwed up. I didn’t get his name, but it was nice to make friends with a complete stranger.”

Glenn is pleased by the intellectual and friendly interaction that goes on by her bulletin board.

“The bulletin has brought some degree of friendliness between people, sometimes you’ll see a custodian and a student just trying to figure out a riddle together,” Glenn said.

Whenever you pass by the bulletin in the Math wing, you may just figure out a riddle that no one else has a clue about.

“The bulletin board enables people to think and learn, and it also gives them opportunities to interact with other people who they don’t know,” Riley said.

Glenn, certainly feels that her hard work is worth it as well.

“Whenever I see someone looking at our bulletin board, it makes me feel good about putting that extra time into maybe lightening someone’s day or just plain making them think.”