Superintendent Mary Herrmann announces her resignation

Clayton School District Superintendent Dr. Mary Herrmann announced on Jan. 14 that she will resign at the end of the 2010-2011 school year.  The Board of Education (BOE) plans to replace Herrmann with Dr. Sharmon Wilkinson, current Assistant Superintendent for Human Resources and Student Services, who will serve as Interim Superintendent effective July 1, 2011.  To see the entire press release, click here.

Superintendent Herrmann had been selected as Superintendent at the start of this school year after a two-year search by the Board of Education. (Courtesy of Mary Herrmann)
Superintendent Herrmann had been selected as Superintendent for the School District of Clayton at the start of this school year after a two-year search by the Board of Education. (Courtesy of Mary Herrmann)

Herrmann cited separation from her family, which remains in Chicago, as the reason for her decision to leave Clayton.

“As you know, balancing the priorities in our lives is always a struggle,” Hermann wrote in a Jan. 14 email to staff. “For me, facing the realities of relocating and working so far away from my family has been particularly challenging. This personal decision to leave Clayton has been very difficult, as I have such high regard and enthusiasm for the community and the school district.”

This is Herrmann’s first year as Clayton Superintendent following Don Senti’s departure last year. The BOE underwent a two-year search before offering Herrmann the position. Though her time with the district has been brief, BOE President Sonny Buttar told the Globe that Herrmann’s resignation was a “profound disappointment,” as she had a “profound impact” on the District and the community.

Buttar said part of this impact was Herrmann’s willingness to work with the Board on implementing national and international benchmarks to compare Clayton to other schools. She said Herrmann has a “deep, broad base of experience” with schools outside of Missouri, and that “losing the depth of her experience is really, really sad.”

The duration of Wilkinson’s service as Interim Superintendent is yet undecided, according to Buttar. The Board has also not decided when to begin the search for a permanent replacement.

Buttar described Wilkinson as “a wonderful administrator” who is “remarkably open-minded” and has history with the District. She said the Board has “utter confidence “in her ability.

As for Wilkinson, she said she is “extremely humbled and honored” to be asked to serve as superintendent, and she said she is “pleased to try to continue the work she has begun here.”

“It’s important to remember that this district is what it is because of its students, support staff, teachers, administrators, and parents who all value educational excellence,” Wilkinson said.

For Q&A with Superintendent Herrmann concerning her resignation, click here.