Stroll down memory lane

As their high school careers draw to a close, CHS seniors pause to reflect upon their favorite experiences during their four-year tenures at #1 Mark Twain Circle.

Senior year. It’s the final step one takes before entering adulthood. However, what is more important than what one does with their last 365 days before crossing the threshold, is who one spends it with. As the end of the school year rolls around, CHS seniors reflect upon how the CHS community has influenced them to become the individuals they are today.

The request for seniors to reflect upon their most valuable experience at CHS leaves most seniors confounded.

“Gosh, I’ve had so many valuable experiences over the past few years, I couldn’t single out one,” senior Ian Miller said. “So many great teachers, so many great opportunities…”

Graphic by Monica Gierada
Graphic by Monica Gierada

Senior Becca Steinberg also expressed the difficulty,” Pinning down one experience as the most valuable would be nearly impossible, since CHS has provided me with innumerable opportunities for growth. I think that simply all of the interactions that I have had with my teachers and peers have taught me a lot.”

However, although singling out one experience might be difficult, it’s safe to conclude that one aspect of CHS all seniors value is the community itself.

“The best thing about CHS is meeting new people and interacting with people who are so diverse with such a wide range of talent,” senior Mimi Liu said. “Everyone has a different perspective but as long as you’re able to keep an open mind, you’ll be able to learn so much from the people around you.”

These relationships established don’t fall short in class either.

“My most valuable experience at CHS has definitely been taking classes,” senior Moira MacDougal said. “All the teachers here are really passionate about their subjects and extremely knowledgeable. It really easy to get excited about what you’re learning when you have a great teacher.”

In addition, seniors find that the community and policies at CHS have enabled them to grow in preparation for the future.

“I have learned to be more independent,” senior Claire Fox said. “For the most part, the school staff sees the students as young adults. Things like off campus privileges, clubs, or being able to build a relationship with teachers have had a great effect on how I see myself now. It made me realize that things don’t get done unless I commit myself to them.”

Aside from the mechanics of personal growth, many perspectives have also changed through their four year experiences.

“High school has taught me not to take anything too seriously,” senior Cecily Lane said.
I’m not suggesting that school doesn’t matter, but rather that this is just part of life and not a big deal. Getting stressed over everything only makes it harder to get through.”

In addition, Miller expresses his belief in the importance of pursuing what one’s interested in.

“High school has taught me that when you combine passion and industry, it works,” Miller said. “If I could change something, I would give myself more time. I’ve tried to cram so much into my four years, and while I’ve accomplished a lot, I’ve also been stretched to the end of my rope time and again. I would give myself more time—to take a few more interesting classes, to pick up a few different activities… It sounds crazy doesn’t it? A lot of people just want to get out and move on to college. I don’t. I’m thrilled for college, yes, but I love it here and now. There’s a lot to love.”

Although many still don’t know exactly where their roads may take them, most are clear of what they want for their future.

“From college I want an education that will prepare me for a job that I want to pursue,” Lane said. “From college I want a future. I want to take away from college everything it has to offer; education, friendship, community, experience. I want college to help me grow up.”

As the weather gets warmer and the days get longer, you can almost hear the sound of cars driving these soon-to-be CHS alumni into their promising futures. But before they go, they would like to share some last words.

“I would tell incoming freshmen to enjoy high school, but work hard,” MacDougal said. “Besides grades, another important thing in high school is the social aspect, so make time for friends. If you establish close friendships, they can last all through high school, and it’s really important to have a good support system to help deal with the stresses of life.”

In addition, many seniors find that finding a balance between everything is critical to success in the high school years.

“You can’t do everything, but don’t let that limit you,” Steinberg said. “Challenge yourself, but don’t be afraid to cut something out or drop it when the workload gets to be too much.”

Miller advises younger students to take one day at a time.

“There’s always worries about the next test, the next performance, the next class to take, the next school you’ll go to…” Miller said. “Stop each day and appreciate. Think about something interesting you’ve just learned. Ponder about the beauty of life itself. Lie down in the quad and relax—that’s the best! High school only comes once. It’s not just about the letters on your progress report, and it’s not just a holding ground until college comes along. It’s four years of the life that’s been given to you, so live it out to the fullest day by day.”