Street Musicians enliven the Loop

Street music is a part of cultures worldwide. The first recorded acts of busking were in Rome in 540 B.C. Buskers perform in public places for donations.

A street musician, or busker,  plays the acoustic guitar in the Delmar Loop. (Eve Root)
A street musician, or busker, plays the acoustic guitar in the Delmar Loop. (Eve Root)

In the city of St. Louis a person has to have a $25 permit in order to perform. The permit is only valid from the date it was issued until Dec. 31 of that same year. The performer must have their permit with them whenever they are performing.
The buskers in the Delmar Loop encompass a wide variety of personalities
Street musician Andy Hylend had been sitting in the Delmar Loop for around five hours, in the hot sun. He had been playing his guitar since 10:30 a.m. He goes there almost every day to play. It’s his job for the time being, and he hopes it will give him enough exposure so he can get a record deal.
“I write most of what I play,” Hylend said.
Hylend has been playing guitar for 16 years. He has been writing music and lyrics for about a year and a half. He has a job interview at Starbucks coming up and is hoping to get the job.
“I played every day this past summer, and I was homeless most of the time,” Hylend said.
Another musician, Evan, has been playing guitar for five years. He was playing on Delmar for around two hours. It’s his first time coming to play in the Loop, and he says he’s  “just here to have a good time.”
Montu has also been playing the guitar for five years. He is a local of the area. He writes some of what he plays, and draws his inspiration from colors and shapes. Montu enjoys playing  at the Loop.
“There are a lot of fun people here, and I can make money,” Montu said.
Montu listens to a lot of electronic and jazz music. He spent around one hour in the Loop.
Violin player Tony Morales plays in the Loop because he likes when people stop by, and he likes making people smile. When he is performing, he plays a lot of classical music.
He has composed a few of his own songs, and has been playing the violin for 11 years, since he was 10. He describes the music he writes as “folky music.”
He likes to listen to a lot of “Hard core Techno, and a little bit of everything.”  Two singers he likes are John Mayer and Michael Jackson.
The music seemed to flow freely and smoothly as he played the music. He busks simply to have a chance to play for someone.