MLS to STL

Major League Soccer plans to announce that St. Louis will be awarded an MLS team

August 15, 2019

Back to Article
Back to Article

MLS to STL

A detailed image of the stadium the new MLS team would play in.

Photo courtesy of the City of St. Louis

Photo courtesy of the City of St. Louis

Photo courtesy of the City of St. Louis

It appears as though Major League Soccer plans to announce next week that St. Louis has been awarded an MLS expansion team. The St. Louis ownership group and MLS have not yet made a public announcement, but several media outlets are reporting that the decision has been made and that a formal event has been scheduled for Tuesday, August 20 at the Palladium.  St. Louis Mayor, Lyda Krewson, President of the St. Louis Board of Aldermen Lewis Reed and the ownership group led by Carolyn Kindle Betz, president of Enterprise Holdings Foundation and Jim Kavanaugh, CEO of World Wide Technology, are all expected to be in attendance.  If awarded the franchise, St. Louis will become the 28th MLS team.

About the Writer
Photo of Cece Cohen
Cece Cohen, Reporter

Cece is a sophomore and this is her first year on Globe. Cece joined Globe because she loves writing and wanted to get more involved at Clayton. She looks forward to growing her...