An animated image of the coronavirus up close.

Pixabay

Why Spring Break is Different this Year

CHS students' spring break plans are affected by the coronavirus.

November 23, 2019

Woman Dies of Coronavirus. Coronavirus Has Spread to Yet Another Country. Live Update on Coronavirus. After opening up the news a person can feel as if they are being swarmed by coronavirus articles. For months on end, the world can’t help but hear more about the virus. In schools the topic seems to pop up every day. Jokes about the virus are natural occurrences. With Spring Break approaching it can feel as if the coronavirus is the modern day equivalent to the Black Plague. But is the virus really serious enough to cancel spring break trips?

“If it’s really bad we’re not gonna go,” CHS Junior Olivia Zindel said. “The coronavirus is currently in Switzerland and it’s spreading, so my dads letting us know how bad it is.” Zindel’s dad, stepmom and little brother live in Switzerland and it was her plan to go visit them during spring break. If the situation gets bad enough and she is forced to cancel, Zindel will join the large number of Americans who have had to cancel vacation plans because of the virus. If Zindel can not go she will have to wait until the summer to see her dad.

Even though Switzerland has multiple coronavirus cases, Zindel is still willing to travel. Others are not. The CHS orchestrated Spain trip has been officially canceled as of March 3rd. “E.F. Tours alerted Clayton High School and so CHS decided not to go forward with the Spain trip,” CHS Sophomore Gabrielle Thomas said, who planned on attending this trip. “People have gotten sick on E.F. Tours before and safety was the number one priority for us.” Although the pro of canceling the Spain trip is safety, there are many cons. After being asked how she feels about the trip being cancelled, Thomas said, “It’s pretty frustrating because we didn’t get a refund. We had a voucher and if we don’t go somewhere else by the time the voucher expires, $3,000 will go down the drain.”

To Zindel and Thomas, the coronavirus has significantly altered what spring break looks like for them. The price of flying to Europe can add up, and the virus may have taken away a life changing experience for both of them, but ultimately life must go on.