Corona Columns: Issue #4

Writer Max Hagemeister talks about the importance of contacting elders during the coronavirus quarantine.

April 6, 2020

Ella Cuneo

Author Max Hagemeister writes about the importance of contacting your loved ones. Art by Ella Cuneo.

As I sit in my house, wondering when the world will go back to normal, I think about what my life used to be. I think of sitting in a classroom, surrounded by my peers. I think of my friends, who I usually spend most of my time with. But what I mostly think about is my grandma. Since this virus is most dangerous to elders and people with autoimmune disorders, I have not been able to see her. This has been hard not just for me but for my whole family.

The more days that pass where I am stuck in my house, the more I remember small little memories like waking up to the smell of pancakes and running down to the kitchen to see her making me breakfast. I also remember how I would go to her house to play cards and watch game shows because she became weaker. Her competitive yet nurturing spirit helped me become the person I am today. But just because I can’t see her in person now doesn’t mean I can’t talk to her. Almost every day, I, along with my family, have committed to calling her at least once. Whenever I pick up the phone and hear her voice, I forget about everything wrong that is happening in the world.

There was one moment, though, where the fear came back. She said to me, “I’ve been alone most of my life, but I have never felt so alone before.” These words affected me because I feel so gutted that she has to stay inside her house with no one until further notice. So what I ask of you is to call a loved one who is quarantined during this pandemic and spend some time with them. Talk about how much you care for them and tell them how much they mean to you. Just one phone call can make someone’s whole day.

Photo of Max Hagemeister
Max Hagemeister, Reporter

Max Hagemeister is a sophomore at Clayton High School and this is his first year on the Globe staff. This year he is participating in Robotics, Helping Hounds, and Tech Crew for...

Photo of Ella Cuneo
Ella Cuneo, Photo Editor

Ella is a sophomore this year and this will be her second year on the Globe. During her freshman year, Ella was a reporter--now she is the Photo Editor. She loves to take photographs...