The XFL filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy on Monday. The BattleHawks had a record of 3-2. (Billy Hurst/USA TODAY Sports)
The XFL filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy on Monday. The BattleHawks had a record of 3-2.

Billy Hurst/USA TODAY Sports

XFL Files for Bankruptcy

April 14, 2020

On Monday, the XFL filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy. This comes just three days after suspending operations and laying off staff members.
According to the Chapter 11 bankruptcy filing, the league is indebted to anywhere between 1,000 and 5,000 creditors and owes them between $10 million and $50 million.

Mathew Kirby/For the Tribune/TNS
Jonathan Hayes, St. Louis BattleHawks head coach and general manager, leads his team onto the field prior to a game against the Seattle Dragons on Feb. 29 at The Dome at America’s Center in St. Louis.

The XFL, created by Vince McMahon, began in 2001 as a joint venture between WWE and NBC. The league failed after just one season in part because they focused more on entertainment than football.
In 2018, McMahon announced the revival of the XFL, but this time it would strictly focus on football. He announced that it would consist of eight teams; the Dallas Renegades, D.C. Defenders, Houston Roughnecks, Los Angeles Wildcats, New York Guardians, Seattle Dragons, St. Louis BattleHawks, and Tampa Bay Vipers.
Each team was supposed to play ten games, with five of those ten being home games. However, the league had to end its inaugural season after just five weeks because of COVID-19.
The BattleHawks had a record of 3-2 and were tied for first place in the Eastern Division.

About the Writers
Photo of Cece Cohen
Cece Cohen, Reporter

Cece is a sophomore and this is her first year on Globe. Cece joined Globe because she loves writing and wanted to get more involved at Clayton. She looks forward to growing her...

Photo of Kaia Mills-Lee
Kaia Mills-Lee, Sports Section Editor

Kaia Mills-Lee is a junior at CHS and this is her third year on the Globe. This year she is one of the Sports Section Editors. Kaia joined the Globe staff because she hopes to...