Football players huddle before a game at Clayton High School (Eli Millner)
Football players huddle before a game at Clayton High School

Eli Millner

Sam Page Releases Fall Sports Restrictions

September 9, 2020

Wednesday morning, St. Louis County Executive Dr. Sam Page announced that games will not be held this fall season sports for moderate and high frequency contact sports run through the Missouri State High School Activities Association (MSHSAA) in St. Louis County.
These fall sports at CHS include field hockey, soccer, softball, volleyball and football.
Low-frequency contact sports including tennis, cross country, swimming, diving, and golf will still be allowed to have competitions; however, spectators will not be permitted.
While games are not allowed for moderate and high frequency sports, workouts and practices will continue with several restrictions.
These restrictions include wearing a mask at all times, social distancing, 30 or fewer athletes on the field at once, and all equipment must be disinfected between individual uses along with several other restrictions that are listed on the St. Louis Coronavirus Information Page.
Page said that the spread of COVID-19 has a positivity rate of 20% for 15 to 19 year-olds which is extremely high compared to the 8% overall rate in the county. For this reason, Page made the decision to no longer let moderate and high frequency sports compete in the fall.
These guidelines will become effective September 11, 2020.
However, Page said that sports have the option of moving their season so the spring but only have until September 17 to inform MSHSAA of their decision.

Photo of Cece Cohen
Cece Cohen, Reporter

Cece is a sophomore and this is her first year on Globe. Cece joined Globe because she loves writing and wanted to get more involved at Clayton. She looks forward to growing her...

Photo of Kaia Mills-Lee
Kaia Mills-Lee, Page Editor

Kaia Mills-Lee is a sophomore at CHS and this is her second year on the Globe. Kaia joined the Globe staff because she hopes to improve her journalism skills. She also wishes to...