Chicken Fried on a Saturday Night: Zac Brown Band Packs Chaifetz Arena

Zac Brown Band performing their opening song, “Same Boat”
Rachel Chung

Zac Brown Band started their tour this Saturday, April 6, at Chaifetz Arena for Glennon LIVE, an annual concert aiding SSM Health Cardinal Glennon.

Adam Wainwright: Cardinals icon, pitcher and country musician (Rachel Chung)

The country music band had last been scheduled in St. Louis March 12, 2020, but canceled the show due to rising COVID cases. Now, in 2024, Zac Brown [vox, guitar, banjo], Clay Cook [guitar, keyboards, vox], Caroline Jones [vox, guitar], John Driskell Hopkins [guitar, bass], Daniel de los Reyes [bongos, drums], Matt Mangano [bass], Chris Fryar [drums], Coy Bowles [guitar, keyboard] and Jimmy De Martini [fiddle, vox] played a stirring lineup of songs like his new song “Tie Up,” and classics like “Colder Weather” and “Chicken Fried.”

KMOX announcer Tom Ackerman introduced the opener, Adam Wainwright, former Cardinals pitcher who became a country music star. Wainwright opened the night with songs from his new album “Hey Y’all,” like “I Like Coming Back,” “American Hearts,” and the title track. With backing from members of the Zac Brown Band, Wainwright sang soulfully about his personal experiences– whether it was seeing his son watching him during Cardinals Spring Training last year or riding in his grandfather’s Chevrolet El Camino down a dirt road. While the performance was relatively lowkey, he captured the audience’s hearts in the 30 minutes.

Zac Brown sings one of the final songs of the night, “Colder Weather” (Rachel Chung)

After Wainwright’s performance, Zac Brown Band strutted onstage to an upbeat performance of “Same Boat.” Brown and his band played other songs like “Homegrown” and “Settle Me Down” before mournful fiddle started “Free,” transitioning to “Into the Mystic” [Van Morrison]. “Jump Right In” featured bongos with a vigorous tropical beat, which then transitioned to a cover of “You Can Call Me Al” (Paul Simon), which got everyone on their feet. The band played other songs from their second album, “You Get What You Give,” like “Keep Me in Mind” and “Knee Deep,” which presented a touching tribute video to the late Jimmy Buffett. Zac Brown Band finished with crowd favorites, “Colder Weather” and a final rousing “Chicken Fried,” featuring a Marine on stage.

Overall, the concert was a fun night of country and St. Louis pride, with cowboy hats and boots to spare.