Emerson Award for Darlene Castelli

Darlene Castelli poses with Board of Education President Sonny Buttar

It is a special honor for a teacher to be nominated for an award. It is even more special to win an award. For Darlene Castelli, the recipient of the Emerson Excellence in Teaching Award, this is her special moment.

Castelli has taught at CHS for four years as a reading specialist, 11 years in the Clayton School District, and 31 years as a teacher.

According to Chief Communications Officer Chris Tennill the award program recognizes teachers from kindergarten to college professors.

“Each year they [Emerson] recognizes more than 100 teachers who are examples of excellence and teaching in the St. Louis metropolitan area,” Tennill said. “Recipients are selected by the chief administrators of their school districts or educational institutions. This is the only public recognition event of its kind in state of Missouri.”

Castelli was very honored to win the Emerson award.

“Humbling. Very humbling,” Castelli said.

Principal Louise Losos thinks Castelli was an excellent choice for the Emerson Award.

“Richly deserved. She is an amazing teacher of both students as well as other teachers,” Losos said. “She is just tremendous both in the classroom and outside. I think she is just absolutely everything the Emerson award stands for.”

Losos believes the Emerson award is a crowning point for Castelli.

“It is a capstone to her fantastic career and I think it means the world to her,” Losos said. “It is a recognition of the respect her colleagues have for her and I don’t think any of us strive for anything better than the respect of our colleagues.”

CHS and the Clayton School District are thrilled that Castelli has won the award.

“They are absolutely thrilled because they know how tremendous a teacher she is,” Losos said. “I was personally shocked that she has not won it before either in this district or another district. I think when you read the criteria of what the Emerson award should be, it’s Mrs. Castelli.”

Losos said that Castelli has contributed in numerous ways at CHS.

“She helped restructure our reading program at the secondary level, said Losos.  “And she is currently helping to co-chair the literacy committee.”

Castelli has also made an impact on how teachers teach at CHS.

“She has helped teachers look at their classrooms in different ways,” Losos said. “She helped teachers restructure their reading programs to ensure that our students that are struggling readers get the assistance they need to become better and ensure the programming is appropriate and at their level.”

Castelli said that her students had mixed reactions with her winning the Emerson award.

“I think the students in academic reading are like ‘Really?’” Castelli said. “‘Like really, you won an award?’ But I think they felt happy for me.”

Castelli thanks all the teachers and the students.

“Just a special thank you to all of the staff, the students, the students’ parents, the administrators here at CHS and throughout the district.”

Tennill said that the winners of the award would attend an awards ceremony.

“Honorees are announced and recognized at an invitation-only awards ceremony and reception sponsored by Emerson that is held at the Sheldon Concert Hall,” Tennill said. “Each honoree receives an engraved Emerson Excellence in Teaching Award Tiffany crystal apple and a signed certificate.”

The Emerson award ceremony took place on Nov. 13.

Photo: Courtesy of Chris Tennill