Filed under Features

Little Journalist, Big Impact

10-year-old Gabe Fleisher in his office.

Gabe Fleisher wakes up at 6:00 a.m. every morning. Although most kids his age would think this to be absurd, he has his reasons. Fleisher likes having time to work before going to school. He uses this time to write a daily newspaper, “The Daily Rundown.”  Impressive as it is for any student to do this, what is truly amazing is that Fleisher is only ten-years-old and a fourth grader at Flynn Park Elementary School in University City.

Fleisher’s paper gives readers small bursts of political information, which he sends out to eighty people every weekday as an attachment via email.  His subscribers use his paper to to find out what’s going on in the world.  But the Daily Rundown, or the DR as his readers call it, especially focuses on US politics.

One Daily Rundown subscriber, who relies on Gabe to keep her up to date, is Kaitlin Kremer.  “Instead of trying to read the newspaper or look at CNN, I could check the DR and it would condense all the important information for me,” Kremer said.

Gabe’s introduction into the world of journalism began with his mother, Amy Fleisher.  Gabe likes to wake up very early, and always wanted to tell his mom what was going on in politics.

“I would try very patiently to listen, but, as I like to get to work early, it was increasingly difficult. So I said, ‘Why don’t you send me an email at work and then we can correspond that way?’” Amy said. “So he started sending notes about what was happening and points of interest. Then it slowly expanded into the DR.”

Gabe’s efforts are grown out of a desire to help Americans become more knowledgeable about politics.

“I think it’s important that the American people know their history, and their politics, and what’s happening and who their leaders are and what there doing,” he said. Gabe loves history, and wants to make sure people, young and old, stay informed.

Gabe’s work has also garnered some national attention.

One of his subscribers, or Rundowners, is Ronnie Cho, an Associate Director to the White House Office of Public Engagement. On Nov. 6 Cho requested to speak with Gabe over the phone.

“He talked about how I think President Obama is doing, specifically outreaching to kids,” Gabe said. Besides Cho, Gabe has two other White House aids as subscribers to his paper.

In his very young political career, Gabe has already attended an inauguration, talked to famous historians such as Doris Kearns Goodwin, and, most impressively, shaken hands with President Barack Obama. Meeting Obama was probably Gabe’s most inspirational moment. “It just brought everything together for me,” he said.

Kurtis Werner, CHS history teacher and sponsor of Politics Club, was blown away by Gabe’s work.

“I’ve never seen anything like this,” Werner said. “My most high ability students have gone and maybe wrote a blog, but I’ve never seen this.”

Gabe, who used to dress up as Ben Franklin when going to pre-school, has always had a passion for history and politics. He wants to be a historian, and Kurtis Werner thinks he is well on his way.

“I could definitely see him taking up aspects of political science, local state or national government, history,” Werner said. “Any of the themes of humanity really are running large through his paper.”

Gabe’s paper, impressive as it is, still needs some work. Both Gabe’s mom and Kaitlin Kremer think Gabe should write more editorials. His editorials, such as his thoughts on the killing of terrorists, are always big hits, but are also more time consuming.

The most exciting thing about The Daily Rundown is what is left to come.  Amy Fleisher agrees.

“I’ve slowly watched him evolve, and what he does with his interests. It will be interesting to see in a year or two years, where this will take him.”

30 Comments

30 Responses to “Little Journalist, Big Impact”

1. Sandi Wagner on March 6th, 2012 6:10 pm

I would like to be on Gabe’s list to get his newsletter “The Daily Rundown.” Is that a possibility?

Thank you.

2. Rainer Oberndorfinger on December 26th, 2012 1:37 pm

Same here!?

3. susan bernstein on December 26th, 2012 1:45 pm

Hi, Please add me to your mailing list.
    Thanks.

4. Penny Terstegge on December 26th, 2012 2:27 pm

I heard Gabe Fleisher on Talk of the Nation this morning. What an interesting young man. I would also like to be able to be on Gabe’s News Letter mailing list.
    He knows what he is talking about.

5. Diane Garfield on December 26th, 2012 8:58 pm

I too heard Gabe on Talk of the Nation today. As a former fifth grade teacher, I’m extremely impressed. Gabe is an amazing young man and definitely going places. I would like to be on the mailing list as well.

6. Daniel Kern on December 26th, 2012 9:42 pm

You go Gabe. Please add me to your news letter email list. Thanks.

7. Peter Baugh on December 26th, 2012 11:08 pm

I will pass on your names to Gabe.

8. Peter Baugh on December 26th, 2012 11:09 pm

@Peter Baugh – It is a private newsletter, so it is up to him. Thanks for commenting!

9. Bruce alter on December 27th, 2012 1:10 am

I really enjoyed the segment on the political junky today. Please pass my email to Gabe. I would really like to be on his mailing list.

Thanks,

Bruce

10. Shawn Gage on December 27th, 2012 2:21 am

Could you pass along my email as well? I heard Gabe on the Talk of the Nation and thoroughly enjoyed his showcase of knowledge! Very professional!

11. Leona Hamrick on December 27th, 2012 7:35 am

I would LOVE to be added to the newsletter also. I listened on Talk of the Nation and have shared the segment on my Facebook page. Gabe, you are an impressive young man!

12. Mojo on December 27th, 2012 9:09 am

Just heard Gabe on NPR and was hoping his newsletter was a blog… Gabe please add me to your mailing list! Politics can be hard to follow, I’m sure your view would make it easier to understand. For kids AND adults!

I’m at MojoSPFX at aol.

Thanks!

13. Things you missed by not listening to NPR | Brome Hill on December 27th, 2012 9:27 am

[…] NPR’s Political Junkie blogger. In the segment, Rudin faced off in a trivia battle with Gabe Fleisher, a fifth-grader from St. Louis who puts together an email political newsletter everyday before […]

14. Donna Weir on December 27th, 2012 10:52 am

I really enjoyed the segment on the political junky on December 26th. Please pass my email to Gabe. I would really like to be on his mailing list.

Thanks,
    Donna

15. Joshua on December 27th, 2012 7:35 pm

Ditto! I’d love to get Gabe’s newsletter! I enjoyed his matter-of-fact yet good-humored style.

16. Brandon on December 27th, 2012 8:29 pm

I would also like to be added to the email list! I may as well get used to Ken Rudin’s replacement now!

17. Andrea on December 27th, 2012 10:24 pm

This kid rocks he reminds me of Alex p Keaton since I’m a child of the 80′. S
    More young thinkers like him and we might just have a pretty cool future.
    Please sign me up for his Daily Rundown as I enjoyed him so much on NPR.
    Keep doing what your doing kid!!!!

18. Sheila Doyle on December 27th, 2012 11:54 pm

Please add me to The Daily Rundown email subscription list. I was very impressed with you on Talk of the Nation. Best, Sheila Doyle (Boston, MA)

19. Michael on December 28th, 2012 1:29 am

It’s wonderful to here our young junkie beat that Rudin guy! St. Louis is proud of you Gabe Fleisher. Peace and Love

20. Paige Banculla on December 28th, 2012 4:15 pm

Please add me to your subscription list.
    [email protected]
    Your keen insights are appreciated.
    Sincerely,
    Paige

21. Emma Dillon on December 28th, 2012 7:31 pm

I would love to be on the mailing list. I’m so glad young people are still getting involved in politics. I hope he keeps interested and someday get involved through the Senate Page Program or something similar. My email is [email protected] Thank you so much!

22. Jonah Wolff on December 28th, 2012 7:35 pm

I would also like to be added to the list. I am a local young elected official in New Jersey, and I think this is awesome.

23. Amanda on December 29th, 2012 5:30 pm

I would also like to be added if possible–so cool!

24. Esther Miller on December 30th, 2012 6:18 pm

Please add me to Gabe Fleisher’s mailing list for his newsletter. I too her him interviewed while walking my dog in the woods. I have since played the piece to other family members.
    Thanks so much

25. Mary Ann Nelson on January 1st, 2013 9:49 am

I would LOVE to be on Gabe’s newsletter list. Please add me, if possible. Any chance of blogging? Keep up the great work.
    M…

26. kay on January 3rd, 2013 10:32 am

Please add me to Gabe Fleisher’s mail list for his Daily Rundown newsletter! Awesome interview on NPR. Thanks!

27. John on January 4th, 2013 9:51 am

I too would like to be added to Gabe’s email blast. Great show on ToTN!

28. John Rivers on January 28th, 2013 3:11 pm

I’d love to be added to the DR mailing list as well! Rock on, Gabe!

[email protected]

John Rivers

29. Christine Bernardo on February 3rd, 2013 11:41 am

Please sign me up to receive Gabe Fleisher’s newsletter! As a fifth grade teacher, Gabe’s letter will be read in our class for current events. He will be such an inspiration to other ten-year-olds and much-older-than-that-olds!. (After hearing his interview on NPR’s Talk of the Nation, I have fruitlessly, until now, been searching for a way to receive his well researched and informed newsletter!)

30. Alan Nissenbaum on May 14th, 2013 9:05 am

Terrific insights! Please add me to the subscription list: [email protected]

Little Journalist, Big Impact