‘Sweeney Todd’ makes its way to CHS

Though the spring musical is a far-off event for most, the theater crew has already started to work on what is to be one of their biggest undertakings yet, “Sweeney Todd”.
“Sweeney Todd” is quite a challenge to perform, but the theater team is sure they’re up to it. Auditions have been held and parts passed out early this year so that the cast and crew can have extra time to prepare.
“This is the most difficult show I’ve done by far,” junior John Holland said.
Holland has been cast as the lead, Sweeney Todd, in the musical.
“This particular musical is almost entirely based upon song,” Holland said, “and the music is based on moods, not melody.”
Sophomore Fergus Inder, who plays Anthony in the musical, agrees that the music is the most difficult element of the play.
“There’s a lot of key changes and crazy harmonies,” Inder said. “The chorus part is really difficult and that’s going to take a lot of work, but it’s also just a tough piece to read in general.”
The composer for this musical is Stephen Sondheim, a man renowned for writing complex musical scores. The cast has already begun meeting with music director Alice Fasman in their free time so that they are able to meet Sondheim’s challenge.
However, “Sweeney Todd” presents more challenges than just the tricky score.
Director Kelley Ryan believes the musical relies heavily on talented acting as well.
“As hard as the music is, acting will be hard too,” Ryan said. “This isn’t a typical show, it needs really strong acting skills. It will be tough for everyone.”
Despite the difficulty, the whole theater team is looking forward to putting on the show.
“All the challenges will be the most fun,” Ryan adds. “The music is difficult but it’s also witty, funny, and dark.”
Holland is also excited to get to work.
“This is one of my favorite shows and it’s always a great experience to get to be in something you love,” Holland said. “This is a musical that is so unlike others. You don’t get to see a lot of dark but eerily comical productions that strike deep into the audience and make them reflect.”
The theater crew believes that the uniqueness and memorable qualities “Sweeney Todd” brings to the stage are well worth the struggles. Though they are all extremely excited to begin working on every aspect of the musical, there may be one element they look forward to even more than the others: the blood.
“Sweeney Todd” is a musical not lacking in gore and violence to the delight of audience and crewmembers alike. Though this may raise concerns for some younger viewers, it’s not likely to be a major issue.
“The violence in ‘Sweeney Todd’ is just as bad as the sexual references made in Greece, so I don’t think it’s going to be a problem,” Inder said.
The crew is instead focusing on how to get the most out of this gruesome production.
“We’re already working on the effects to make them look really good,” Ryan said. “It will be pretty bloody.”
That is among a few promises Ryan can make.
Still, this year’s spring musical is certain to be unlike any others performed before, with special thanks to the hard work being put in by the crew so early in the year.