AP Lit v. AP Lang

Although some seniors do not elect to take AP English classes, those that do may choose between two options: AP English Literature, more commonly known as AP Lit, or AP English Language, more commonly known as AP Lang.

The main difference between AP Lit and AP Lang is the way in which the separate classes analyze literature.

“ [AP Lang] uses rhetorical technique to analyze non-fiction,” AP Lang teacher Emily Grady said. “You learn to study writing and analysis of argument and persuasion. You learn to be a really good critical reader. You learn to see through manipulation and how to argue effectively.”

On the other hand, the main texts in the AP Lit course are fictitious.

“You read incredible literature – some of the best books ever written,” AP Literature teacher Jim Lockhart said. “Because of the complexity of the material, it really pushes students to pay attention to how the form of something written shapes meaning.”

Another major difference in the classes is the way that research papers are carried out. AP Lit students write the “infamous” author project, in which an individual student researches and writes about the major themes of an author, while AP Lang students collaboratively write and conduct a research project.

“As to the author project, the students have to pull together a wide range of sources,” Lockhart said. “Additionally, students put it together with few training wheels. In general, if students pick an author they care about, students don’t hate the author project. Sometimes students feel it’s a grind, but there is a sense of being smart by knowing something about a major writer.”

Although AP Lit classes have finished their author projects, AP Lang is just beginning its research project.

“We are in the process of figuring out what we want to study right now,” Grady said. “In general, though, the research paper is both individual and collaborative. It mirrors what you might do in the workplace; it’s group-focused.”

Despite the differences in the structure of the curriculum, students in both courses enjoy the class.

“I really like Lit,” senior AP Lit student Taylor Kloha said. “I also think the author project is good fun, since I really like getting into an individual author’s work.”

Senior AP Lit student Andrew Spector has mixed feelings about the course.

“I don’t like that we have to explore one author and prove that each person’s author is the best,” Spector said. “However, I did like that it is a large-scale writing opportunity. It was super helpful; I feel prepared now – thank you, CHS.”

At the same time, AP Lang students also feel that their class is worthwhile. Senior AP Lang student Matt Mikesic would encourage underclassmen to take AP Lang.

“The workload is pretty reasonable,” Mikesic said. “I would recommend the class, but it really depends on how much you like to read. If you want to try something different, take Lang because it focuses more on the technique of writing than on other people’s writing.”